Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community!

I have seen some motherboards include "WIN" on their description, what does that mean? Do they only work with Windows OS? Do they have it preinstalled?

Please help me understand what makes these different from those that do not include "WIN" on the description.

Thanks!

• L59778-601: MOTHERBOARD DSC RTX2080 8GBfGSync i9-9880HWIN
  • L98756-601: MOTHERBOARD DSC RTX 2070S 8GB i7-10750H WIN

vs

• L59777-001: MOTHERBOARD DSC RTX2080 8GBfGSync i7-9750H
  • L51796-001: MOTHERBOARD DSC RTX2070 8GBfGSync i7-9750H
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
This is often stated in the manuals of laptops
for example
System board (includes processor):
All system boards use the following part numbers:
xxxxxx-001: Non-Windows operating system
xxxxxx-601: Windows 10 operating system

sometimes there are other references, for example if there were models with windows 8 ..

windows cannot be preinstalled on the motherboard
on the other hand, it is possible, but not certain, that the motherboard, are marked, so that we can reinstall the original system
since windows 8 the windows key being in the system, maybe if the motherboard is not the right one, you will not be able to activate windows (same version)
But so far, I haven't seen it seem like it's back to me

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Ed_Navarro 

It has Windows license which is embedded in BIOS. You can't re-use old license. You can buy system board w/o Windows but you have to buy new license later if you wish to install Windows.

Normally, we use system boards now. A system board contains

• Motherboard (old name),
  • CPU & iGPU,
  • GPU (if applicable),
  • RAM (if applicable),
  • Windows License.

Because all above parts are on one piece of hardware called System Board.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you @banhien, this is interesting.

Would this mean I don´t have to buy a windows license if I get a MB like L59778-601?

If so, I guess it would make it a bit more expensive, but might be worth the price.

HP Recommended

What I explained above @Ed_Navarro 
Normally this should be the case, but difficult to certify

And even less if the model is not the original one
And it depends on the model, all motherboards are not complete, the ram may be missing, like the processor, if not integrated

depending on the dealer, it will be necessary to check what is included or not
when looking for some model, the pictures often show blank motherboards

The motherboard can be almost as expensive as a new computer, check if it's worth it
If you want to replace the motherboard with another model, think carefully before!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.