Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

OK Paul, here's what I see:

Hardware ids

Value

USB\VID_148F&PID_2000&REV_6817
USB\VID_148F&PID_2000

HP Recommended

Hi:

OK, that hardware ID tells me that your notebook has a Ralink wireless card with bluetooth, not the Broadcom one that the parts list indicated it had, as you can see below. 

So that is why nothing we have tried to this point has worked.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=LM829AV

Unfortunately, I know of no instance where anyone has ever gotten that bluetooth adapter to work on W8, 8.1 or 10, so that is amazing it worked for you for even a short while.

There are no W8, 8.1 or W10 drivers for that model bluetooth, but to make matters worse, the Ralink Motorola Bluetooth driver cannot be explored to extract the basic device driver from the file by using 7-zip.

This is the latest W7 driver for that model bluetooth adapter below (it is even newer than the one on your notebook's support page).

This package contains the driver installation package for the Ralink/Motorola Bluetooth and High-Speed (HS) Adapter in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp55063.exe

I found this thread on the Microsoft forum where a person has this exact same adapter as yours, but couldn't get it to work on W8.1 and the Microsoft guy had a suggestion to get the driver to install.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/ralinkmotorola-bc4-bluetooth-30...

The person never reported back one way or the other, so I don't know the outcome.  However, the respondent's reply was marked as the answer.

I guess you have nothing to lose by trying the suggestion posted on that thread, but don't get your hopes up.

HP Recommended

Paul, I found the driver (Win7) I had downloaded from HP back when I first got the notebook. It is sp52533.exe, and contains just this file: BluetoothSetup.exe. Here are its properties:

BluetoothSetup.exe Properties.PNG

I tried installing it in Win7 compatibility mode. It seemed to install OK. Device manager for Bluetooth then looked like this:

Device Manager.PNG

But when I tried to go to Blutooth in Settings, it was missing:

Settings - Devices.PNG

The install created a shortcut named My Bluetooth with the following target:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Motorola\Bluetooth\btmshell.dll",OpenMyBluetooth

But when launched, all it does is open the Documents folder in file explorer. I rebooted, but nothing changed. So although I seemed to have the correct driver installed, I had no means to pair with any devices.

So I went to Apps and uninstalled "Ralink Motorola BC8 Bluetooth 3.0+HS Adapter". Then I rebooted and reinstalled without compatibility mode. Again the install ran fine, but it didn't solve the problem.

I feel I'm so close, but I cannot see how to attempt any pairings.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Yes, you did come close, but unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try, other than to try the driver I posted which is newer than the one on your notebook's support page.

HP Recommended

OK, I tried the BluetoothSetup.exe in sp55063.  Almost the same result. The only difference I can discern is that now the shortcut (as well as the Bluetooth icon in the tray) does not appear to do anything.

I am giving up on Bluetooth for this notebook.  Back to a USB mouse.  Thanks for all your suggestions!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry I couldn't help you get it to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.