Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Beats 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to sell to my friend a 2015 HP Beats 15 Notebook PC running Windows 10 Home OEM license. We need to transfer ownership of the license to him, the third party. I understand that OEM is tied to the computer, which is fine. That is what he wants. I read a few relevant answers online, but I am still not certain about the method. I get the impression that the procedural steps involve more than simply deleting the device from my Microsoft account. I have backed up all my personal data, browser settings, app licenses, and installation files for security apps, etc. Also, documents are backed up to One Drive and other cloud drives. 

The recovery drive has the necessary OS files in order to reinstall the original factory image, and I created a recovery USB flash drive just to be safe.

Do I need to set up another user account on the device, reboot, and delete my account before doing the System Recovery installation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, it worked with one caveat. The installation succeeded after about 3 hours. At completion, I received a message that Windows could not remove all user files. Explorer shows windows.old. Is that normal? There was another user on this PC for a while and I did not delete that profile; I figured that Windows installation would do that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Simply wipe out the hard drive by performing reset and let your friend set the computer up. Your account will be wipe out after the reset.

Regards,

ichi

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the swift reply. We will do just that and post results.

HP Recommended

Well, it worked with one caveat. The installation succeeded after about 3 hours. At completion, I received a message that Windows could not remove all user files. Explorer shows windows.old. Is that normal? There was another user on this PC for a while and I did not delete that profile; I figured that Windows installation would do that.

HP Recommended

Hi,

As per Microsoft Windows.old is  your previous Windows installation that moved to a folder called Windows.old.

Windows.old is an archive of your old Windows installation. It is created by setup for a number of reasons depending on how the upgrade was initiated, including recovery of personal data or to facilitate the rollback to that previous version of Windows if you performed an in place upgrade.

Just leave the folder.. It will be deleted by windows eventually.

No if you wish to remove it, heres how: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-remove-windowsold-folder-windows-10

Regards,

ichi

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.