Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
spectre x360 ch011dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I understand that win7 is no longer supported but I went out on a limb and installed it on my spectre x360 ch011dx with decent results. So far I am really happy with how it operates but it has been quite a trip to get here to a stable usable platform. I stumbled across this thread ( https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-Spectre-Win-7-Drivers/td-p/6...) and it seems like the user did not have a camera issue. I know it would be easier to update to 10 but i would like to find a way to make this work. I installed the hp drivers and goes through, however I do get a code 10 and there is no camera detected. I ran the hp software diagnosis and there is no problem with the camera. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Frankthepug 

Yeah, I know it's your PC -- so it's your choice, and I used Win7 myself for many years and thought it was the best OS that MS ever produced -- but times have changed.

Forcing Win7 onto any PC these days is a really BAD idea -- for the following reasons.

1) Vulnerability -- MS has terminated support for Win7, meaning that they are not going to be issuing any more security updates. Thus, when new malware comes out (and it will), MS is not going to update Win7 to protect it. You must be running third-party Antivirus products or, if you PC is connect to the Internet, is IS going to get infected!

2) Drivers -- desktops not so much, but laptops especially, require custom drivers from HP to fully utilize all the hardware. HP does not provide Win8 drivers for new equipment. Without those drivers, your hardware is not going to function completely -- because the generic drivers provided by Microsoft only provide the most basic functionality.

3) Applications -- with the demise of Win7 support, application providers are going to stop providing updates for their applications for Win7. They will be focusing their new efforts on Win10. If you continue to run the Win7 versions of apps, you will be missing out on new features provided in the Win10 versions.

4) Hardware -- while much of the new hardware today still includes drivers for Win7, that is going to end and in short order, the only drivers included with new hardware will be for Win10. That means if you want to update or expand your Win7 PC with new hardware, that is going to be increasingly difficult to do.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing that information. I am aware of all the things you mentioned. I understand there are alot of people pushing windows 10 but I am striving to use what I know and like. Most of my programs are specific legacy programs and college papers. Currently my notebook runs very well but I would just like help finding a driver fix for the camera. If I cannot get it to work then I will just deal with what I have as I mentioned the notebook runs very well. If anyone has any advice, I welcome it. I currently have a machine running windows 10 and it makes me spend less time on computers all together.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.