Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion X360 Convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

This is my first post so here goes:  Just purchased a HP Pavillion x360 Covertable notepad and trying to load new software onto it but have come across a problem with System Mechanic Pro.  This laptop is Windows 10 64 bit.  The error message says that the Windows Installer has encountered problems.  Windows tells me this is a know problem and to go into Safe Mode and install there but on my Hp machine there is no F8 Safe Mode.  I have looked through the manual and cannot seem to find how to do this.  I know if I restart and press escape I can do F9 Boot secquence and F10 for Bios.

Please your help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Lellydw, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you are getting windows Installer has encountered problems on your PC.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click Start, and then click Settings.
The Settings menu opens.
Click Update & security.
Click Recovery, and then under Advanced startup, click Restart now.
The Choose an option screen opens. From the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click Restart.
The computer restarts and another Startup Settings screen opens showing a list of different startup options.
Choose the safe mode option you want from the Startup Settings menu:
Press the F4 key for Enable Safe Mode. Safe Mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.
Press the F5 key for Enable Safe Mode with Networking. Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows in Safe Mode with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.
Press the F6 key for Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Safe Mode with Command Prompt starts Windows in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is generally used only by IT professionals.
Sign in to the computer with your account name and password.
   NOTE:
You will need to enter your Windows account name and password to log on in Safe Mode. You will not be able to log on in Safe Mode using another logon method, such as using a PIN or a fingerprint reader.
The computer opens the desktop in Safe Mode.
When finished troubleshooting, exit Safe Mode by clicking Start.
Click Power, then select Restart.
The computer starts normally.

Refer this article to know more information about loading into Windows Safe Mode.

If you still have issues installing the application, please contact the application vendor for further assistance.

Let me know if this helps.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @Lellydw, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you are getting windows Installer has encountered problems on your PC.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click Start, and then click Settings.
The Settings menu opens.
Click Update & security.
Click Recovery, and then under Advanced startup, click Restart now.
The Choose an option screen opens. From the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click Restart.
The computer restarts and another Startup Settings screen opens showing a list of different startup options.
Choose the safe mode option you want from the Startup Settings menu:
Press the F4 key for Enable Safe Mode. Safe Mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.
Press the F5 key for Enable Safe Mode with Networking. Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows in Safe Mode with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.
Press the F6 key for Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Safe Mode with Command Prompt starts Windows in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is generally used only by IT professionals.
Sign in to the computer with your account name and password.
   NOTE:
You will need to enter your Windows account name and password to log on in Safe Mode. You will not be able to log on in Safe Mode using another logon method, such as using a PIN or a fingerprint reader.
The computer opens the desktop in Safe Mode.
When finished troubleshooting, exit Safe Mode by clicking Start.
Click Power, then select Restart.
The computer starts normally.

Refer this article to know more information about loading into Windows Safe Mode.

If you still have issues installing the application, please contact the application vendor for further assistance.

Let me know if this helps.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help, it worked a treat.  I do not understand why this is not in the manual that comes with the computer as my sister has had the same problem trying to get into safe mode.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Lellydw

You're welcome and thanks for the response,

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Starting in safe mode, running Windows 10, when I get to the part where you press the F button that matches what your doing, in my case its F-5 simple...right? Wrong, matter of fact regardless which F button I press it tells me I don't have an internet connection and to run the troubleshooter, which then of course tell me that the troubleshooter doesn't work in safe mode...And on and on it goes...doesn't matter F-4-F-5, which ever...

What do you think is going on?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.