Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13t-ae000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have recently faced an issue with my Windows Hello settings.

I am running on Windows 10 17134 (Home Edition), and the device is HP Spectre x360 13t-ae000. Recently my Windows Hello face login has faced an issue and does not work with the error text popping up during login screen: "Sorry, something went wrong, please login with your PIN".

Once I checked sign-in options in control panel, I noticed that there is no Face Login option under windows hello section (only finger print available).

IR Camera driver seems to be OK in Device Manager, and it used to work just fine before this problem arose. Hello.PNGCamera.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@RezaR2
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Enable Biometric in Local Group Policy:

• Use Win + R to launch the Run.
  • Type “gpedit.msc” and then hit the Enter.
  •  Expand Computer Configuration and then go to Administrative Templates -> Windows Components –> Biometrics.
  • Double-click it and then open the Allow the use of biometrics setting.
  • Check the Enabled option.
  •  Click the Apply and then OK.
  • Apply the modification one more time to the
  •  Allow users to log on using biometrics setting.
  • Restart your computer and let the modification take effect.

Reset Facial Recognition and/or Fingerprint Options:

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
  • Under the Accounts menu, select Sign-In.
  • Locate Fingerprint or Facial Recognition options and click Remove under them.
  • Choose Get Started and then follow the on-screen instructions to reset Fingerprint and Facial Recognition.
  • Reboot your computer to check whether this reset helps to troubleshoot unresponsive Windows Hello functionality.

Update Webcam/Fingerprint Drivers via Device Manager:

• Press the Win + X to open Device Manager.
  •  Expand the entries for your biometrics device.
  • Right-click the device and choose Uninstall.
  • Go to the Action menu.
  • Select Scan for hardware changes.
  • Then Windows 10 will detect and update the camera or the fingerprint scanner drivers.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your timely response.

As far as I'm aware, GPEDIT is not available on windows 10 Home version, how can I bring it up to enable biometrics?

Also please note that my biometrics work just fine (fingerprints are enrolled and login through FP scanner is working as usual), the only problem is that settings related to facial recognition has vanished from control panel!

Can you help me on these matters please?

HP Recommended

@RezaR2

Let's try clearing the Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

1. Disable or suspend all apps that use the TPM, for example, BitLocker.

2. Restart the computer and press Esc repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

3. When the Startup Menu displays, press F10 to open the BIOS Setup.

4. Use the right arrow key to choose Security.

5. In the Security or System Security settings, disable the following security features, if they are listed.

• Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX)

• Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)

NOTE: BIOS configurations vary. Refer to the documentation that came with your PC for specific steps to navigate the BIOS and disable the settings.

Disabling SGX in the Security settings

6. Save your changes and exit the BIOS.

7. Sign in to an administrator account.

8. Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Run.

9. In the Open field, type tpm.msc, and then click OK.

If a User Account Control window displays, click Yes.

The TPM management window opens.

Typing tpm.msc in the Run app Open field

10. In the Actions section, click Clear TPM.

Clicking Clear TPM in the TPM Management window

11. Click Restart.

NOTE: You must be physically present to respond to prompts during the TPM clearing process.

Clicking Restart in the Manage the TPM security hardware window

12. Follow the on-screen instructions to clear the TPM.

13. If you disabled security features such as Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) or Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) in the BIOS before clearing the TPM, re-enable them.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this solution did not work as well. Face Recognition is still missing in Sign-in Options (at Control Panel)

HP Recommended

@RezaR2

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

• Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Select the product type.
  • Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
  • Select the country from the drop-down.
  • You should see the HP support number or Chat option listed

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo Lake

enabling the biometric policy for login worked for me, many thanks.

Do you have any idea or pointers as to why it would have stopped working, it was fine for a couple of years and stopped 'out of the blue'....

HP Recommended

@Marsdex

Thank you for posting back. 

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. 

Due to periodic software driver update, the system might be stopped responding. However, by checking and updating windows regularly will enhance and optimize the overall computer performance. Hope this helps. 

If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us. Have a great day! 
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.