Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP envy x360 covertible. I tried to enable facial recognition but it does not even give me the option for it. I tried installing/updating the RealSense Depth Camera but it did not fix it. I thought when I purchased this laptop that it was compatible with facial recognition.

Best

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@navier1

What is your HP Envy x360 ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Your system will only support facial recognition for Windows Hello if it has an infrared camera. The quickest way to establish the configuration of a system is to post the model and/or product details as @banhien requested.

HP Recommended

Model 15m-cn0012dx

HP Recommended

The specification for that model says there is an IR camera.

Go into Device Manager by right clicking the Windows icon at the left of the task bar and choose "Device Manager". What devices do you have listed under "Cameras" and "Other Devices"? Are there any devices with the yellow exclamation mark symbol on them?

HP Recommended

Under cameras it says I have the HP Wide Vision HD Camera.

There are no exclamation marks on any of the devices.

HP Recommended

My ZBook has separate visible light and IR cameras side by side - and two cameras showing in Device Manager. The IR camera and associated illumination LEDs are used for face recognition.

It is at least theoretically possible to build a single camera for webcam and face recognition functions, and the Maintenance and Service Guide for your range suggests this is what HP are using for face recognition capable models: "Allows you to video chat, record video, and record still images. Some cameras also allow a facial recognition logon to Windows, instead of a password logon."

At this point I think there is no alternative to working with HP Support to establish the true position with this system. Either it is not intended to have a face recognition capable camera and the specification saying your system has an IR camera is in error, or the system is supposed to have a face recognition capable camera and the capability has been omitted or is somehow non-functional.

HP Recommended

When I change the login options in the settings, I do not even have the option to enable it. So perhaps this model is not intended to have it.

Anywho I appreciate your help and explaining to me the circumstances. 

HP Recommended

I wouldn't give up that easily. The specification I linked to in an earlier post (the coloured words are links) says "IR" next to the camera, which normally means "face recognition supported". I would query the situation with HP Support based on that specification before concluding it wasn't meant to be.

As the specification says IR, my argument would be that the laptop does not conform with the published specification as it stands and ask HP what they propose to do about it.

HP Recommended

The Specrtre 15 x360 Bl1xx loaner/tester I am using this year has HP TrueVision FHD IR listed in Device Manager as should your model if it has facial recognition capable camera. Either a slip up at factory or the Specs page is wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen wrong Specs published. However, as mentioned by @David_J_W no harm in inquiring about it.

Easiest way to contact HP would be to open HP Support Assistant installed on the laptop. Look for Support tab at top and open it. This should get you a direct number to Support or a Chat option.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.