Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 13-aq0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop comes with a fingerprint sensor and it worked for the first few days after purchase but then the option to sign in with fingerprint disappeared from the lock screen. I would have to roll back and update the biometric sensor every time I wanted to use it from the device manager screen then suddenly the sign in with fingerprint option entirely disappeared from the lock screen about a month ago and now I can only log in with either pin or password.

I have downloaded the newest biometric drivers, kept everything up to date and tried every thread on the internet but nothing has worked. I tried to find and use gpedit.msc but was unable to. Please help me get my fingerprint sensor working again.

Screenshot (1).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@User211
Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest restore the computer back to the factory settings.
Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@User211
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's remove this option in the Fingerprint section of Windows Hello.

1. In Windows, search for and open Sign-in options.

2. On the Accounts window, select Windows Hello Fingerprint, and then click Remove.

Removing the fingerprint option

Next Set up a fingerprint reader:

1. In Windows, search for and open Sign-in options.

2. On the Accounts window, select Windows Hello Fingerprint, and then click Set up.

Setting up the fingerprint option

3. On the Windows Hello welcome screen, click Get started. If a window displays prompting you to verify your identity, type the requested credentials.

4. Make sure your fingers are clean and dry. When prompted, press and lift only one finger on the fingerprint sensor.

Prompting you to scan your finger

5. Follow the on-screen prompts to repeatedly press and lift your finger on the sensor. This helps the sensor to register your fingerprint completely.

NOTE: For better results, use different angles of your finger to capture the edges of your finger when pressing on the sensor.

Pressing your finger on the sensor at different angles to register your fingerprint

6. If you have not already set up a personal identification number (PIN), click Set up PIN when prompted. The PIN is your backup if fingerprint recognition is not available.

7. On the Windows Security window, type a PIN, type the PIN again to confirm, and then click OK.

NOTE: To use letters and symbols in your PIN, click the check box below the PIN confirmation field.
    1. PIN field

2. Confirm the PIN field

8. Click Close to exit the Windows Hello setup window. The fingerprint reader is activated, and you can use your fingerprint to sign in to your device.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for your response but as per my earlier picture, I am entirely unable to change the windows hello fingerprint settings. 

I can neither remove or add a new one.Screenshot (2).png

HP Recommended

@User211
Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest restore the computer back to the factory settings.
Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.