Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 14" 14-bw021na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been having problems with the Windows Updates for a few days now. I've been getting various errors (0x8007045b, 0x802001e, 0x80246010, 0x80070bc2) and my attempts to complete the installation of the available update has run into double figures.

I've run sfc/scannow with no issues raised.

I've run the Windows Update Troubleshooter several times. On a couple of occasions it suggested that 'One or more components must be repaired' and the report seemed to suggest it had done that, but still the installation will not complete.

I've tried to do a system restore which failed because it could not access a file. The suggestion was that it could be down to my antivirus software. I disabled it and had a second attempt which also failed.

So, what do I do next?

I could do a reset maybe? What else is there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

An in-place upgrade is upgrading to the latest version of Windows.  You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool at this link.  just select upgrade this PC and go through the steps and it should start upgrading.  This can usually fix many issues that SFC /scannow sometimes cant fix.

Please remember to select the answer

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I would try clearing windows Update Settings.

Disable windows Update Service and stop it. 

Delete the SoftwareDistribution Folder in Windows Folder

Enable and Start Windows Update Service.  

If that does not work the try an in-place upgrade to repair any system files.

HP Recommended

Before I follow your advice I should clarify what's happening. The Windows Update Service identifies outstanding updates, it downloads them, it installs them and suggests a restart. It's at this stage the update fails to complete.Does the change your advice?

HP Recommended

That might be something else im not sure.  Usually when this happens i dont let alot of updates install at once to avoid this.  but sense you cant select which updates you want to install in windows 10 i am not sure what else to try.  An in-place upgrade might fix it but i would not keep my hopes up.

HP Recommended

I've not come across the term in-place upgrade before. What is it and how do I go about accessing it?

HP Recommended

An in-place upgrade is upgrading to the latest version of Windows.  You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool at this link.  just select upgrade this PC and go through the steps and it should start upgrading.  This can usually fix many issues that SFC /scannow sometimes cant fix.

HP Recommended

Yet more questions, sorry.

Earlier you suggested I clear the Windows Update Settings. I have Windows 10 Version 1709. I cannot find where I'm able to disable the Update Service.

Secondly I cannot find the SoftwareDistribution folder despite having the setting Hidden Items checked. I was, however. able to locate it via a search. Once I have located this way do I delete the folder or just the contents of the folder?

HP Recommended

Try following this guide.  

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mckittrick/windows-update-issues-clear-windows-update-cache/

it should help you clear the cache of Windows Update.  

HP Recommended

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool fixed it for me. It was an extremely lengthy procedure but in the end it worked, thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear a In-place upgrade fixed it.  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.