Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15 ec-1051
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello there,  👋

I am using the HP Pavillion 15 laptop and sometimes uses a hell lot of data, I am on a limited data plan.

I have done my wi-fi network on metered connection,

I also have stopped automatic downloads from the Microsoft store,

I also have stopped the background run of all the apps or the softwares,

I also updated all the software updates.

After all these, from last three days my laptop again came back in its data consuming mode and after a few seconds of connecting to my metered wi-fi, it consumes 1gb data in just 5-10 mins

when I checked the data usage, I got these. (these is the usage of last two days only, because I had reset it ).

What is this system, that is eating my data?? 

please help me, what should I do to stop it doing that?????  😞pic1pic1

1624700336393.jpg

pic2pic2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rohit_gour03 

IF you read the Microsoft information closely, you will see that Metered Connection setting does not STOP Windows Updates -- as it says that "important" updates will continue -- and in typical fashion, MS does not tell us what constitutes "important" updates.  So my guess, is that you are still getting those updates.

Posted pictures have to be approved by the Mods here before they show up, and at this moment, they have not -- so your pictures are blank.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Rohit_gour03 

IF you read the Microsoft information closely, you will see that Metered Connection setting does not STOP Windows Updates -- as it says that "important" updates will continue -- and in typical fashion, MS does not tell us what constitutes "important" updates.  So my guess, is that you are still getting those updates.

Posted pictures have to be approved by the Mods here before they show up, and at this moment, they have not -- so your pictures are blank.

HP Recommended

Thanks, @WaWood, for clear my doubt regarding the metered connection.

The image is just telling that how much the system is consuming the data in the data usage. and I could not understand what was that thing which is really eating the data, and Why ? and how I can stop it.

HP Recommended

Hello @Rohit_gour03 

As you have seen already, Windows nowadays is somewhat resource hungry and noisy (traffic). A lot more than it was 10 years ago, for example.

System (PID:4) is the system process for kernel stuff, it can be anything - malware/virus, or "legit" Windows things such as updates, telemetry, etc.

You need a firewall (a good third party one) with outbound filtering and you have to configure it properly to isolate unwanted network traffic. This is the only thing which can help you isolate your PC and block/limit harmful and unwanted traffic.

I strongly recommend you install an ESET product like ESET Internet Security

>> https://www.eset.com/int/home/internet-security/

Info about ESET >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESET

After installation, update it.

You need to switch to advanced settings (F5) .

1) You may switch to Interactive mode for a while >> https://support.eset.com/en/kb3190-firewall-filtering-modes-in-eset-windows-home-products

2) You may need to review the pre-definited rules. Most you will need to keep active but some you may want to uncheck (disable) >> https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/idh_dialog_epfw_app_tree_rules_page.html

3) You will need to configure some rules (either automatically or manually) to disable some Windows app from communicating with the world (svchost besides predefinited rules and many others) >> https://support.eset.com/en/kb2843-create-a-firewall-rule-to-allowdisallow-use-of-a-certain-applicat...

4) You may eventually switch back to Automatic mode

Note, that ESET products are not free. You can use a 30-day free trail version and then you will need to purchase a license to continue using it. But the price is worth for the enhanced security the product provides, especially the good antivirus and feature-rich firewall.

The above is my personal recommendation/opinion.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

@Rohit_gour03 

You do realize that the entire time you are browsing the Internet you are downloading data, right?  Every screen, every widget, has to be downloaded to your PC so you can display it.  This happens even if you do not manually download any files yourself.

Also, as @IT_WinSec pointed out, there could be an OUTBOUND issue -- which installing a firewall can address.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, @IT_WInSec. This information is a new thing for me, thanks for helping.👍

HP Recommended

Thanks, @WAWood 😀. I got it now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.