Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 820 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ants are crawling into my hp laptop through the keyboard key gaps and speaker holes. these ants mostly eat cotton.  is there a risk to my laptop because of them. laptop has NOT suffered any water damage

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@thambu2 

Please try a can of compressed air to blow them out. Ants like sweet, please do not wash your hands after having a cake.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@thambu2 

Please try a can of compressed air to blow them out. Ants like sweet, please do not wash your hands after having a cake.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Actually i dont eat near my laptop, so i dont know what is causing the problem

HP Recommended

@thambu2 

There are different kinds of ants that like different foods and different environments.

The ants might be looking for a place to build a nest.

Could be any reason.

Find out what kind of ants and you can better understand what they are after.

My opinion

You do absolutely need to get the ants out of the computer.

We heard from another customer, also from your general region, who had ants get inside their laptop.

The little pests even managed to get into the display panel.

Not good. 

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

.@Dragon-Fur 

One ant did enter the display panel and it managed to escape after a few hours. I need a solution to this. If I open my laptop and check, it's,not there but I see crawling into the speaker holes

HP Recommended

@thambu2 

The solution to remove the ants - as you have marked "Solution" is to blow out the computer with the compressed air.

What you do to keep the ants from wanting to be in the area depends on what you are willing to use as a deterrent.

For example, there are sprays - both toxic and not - that can be used as a repellent to deter ants and other pests from infesting the work area.

Do not spray the inside of the computer with repellent or bug spray, of course  - you can certainly investigate treating your workspace to help keep the ants away from your equipment.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Wow, talk about a "Bug Report"!!!   😉

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.