Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day. I am having a problem with the battery of a new laptop. The battery does not charge above 80-85%. In BIOS, the setting of the battery care function is set to 100. Tell me what could be the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Constantine86,

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Please try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time to open the quick-access menu.

Click Device Manager.

In Batteries section, right-click on your battery driver, commonly it’s Microsoft  ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. Then click Uninstall device.

Restart the PC the drivers would automatically install again.

Check the BIOS (F.34 and later) to confirm the setting is set to Full Charge, if it is not, change the BIOS setting to Full Charge.

Power on the unit.
Press F10 to enter the BIOS.
Select the Power option. 

Full Charge: The battery charge stops at 91~100%. 
Extended Life of Battery Pack: The battery charge stops at 76~80%. 
Optimize Life of Battery Pack: The battery charge stops at 46~50%. 

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

If the above steps do not fix the issue, upgrade the BIOS to the latest version using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Run Power Troubleshooter.

On Cortana, enter  Troubleshooter then select Troubleshooting.
Click Improve power usage to open the window, then click Next. 
This should run the troubleshooter and can fix any detected issues. You may try restarting your computer and charge your battery again.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, A4Apollo .

product number: 5EQ55EA#ACB

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

No, I haven’t had such an opportunity yet. But I’ll definitely try.

Were there any recent windows update on the PC

Installed the last version of Windows did not help

Removing a device in device manager did not help

Check the BIOS (F.34 and later) to confirm the setting is set to Full Charge, if it is not, change the BIOS setting to Full Charge.

I updated the BIOS to version F.20. No newer version for my laptop.

My Windows does not support Cortana(

HP Recommended

Hi! @Constantine86,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Try the steps recommended and post back the results. Also, try calibrating the battery manually and check if it helps.

Step 1: Charge the battery
Use the power cord to charge the battery to a full charge.
Plug in the power cord.
Charge the battery to a full charge, 99% to 100%. To check the battery charge, mouse over the battery icon in the system tray on the Desktop.
When the battery is fully charged, proceed to the next step.
Step 2: Discharge the battery
After the battery fully charges, use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to discharge the battery.
Unplug the power cord.
Press and hold the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second until the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI menu displays.
Click Component Tests in the main menu.
NOTE: The purpose is to drain or discharge the battery, not get the results of the test. The battery discharges and the computer turns off before the test results display.
In the list of Component Tests, click Memory.
Click Extensive Test.
Click Loop until error to start the test. Let the test continue until the battery is completely discharged and the computer shuts down.
NOTE: This test only discharges the battery and does not impact the memory.

Recharge the battery
Recharge the battery fully before you calibrate the battery.

Refer this article to know more information about calibrating the battery. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.