Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Caps lock and scroll lock blinking, will not boot up

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you match the sequence of 'blinks' to those shown in the table below.

Capture.PNG

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

hp pavillion dv4-1225dx   It is blinking once, according to your post the cpu is not functional. 

HP Recommended

Can you replace the cpu on this model or should i just purchase another HP laptop?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start.

If it doesn't start, I'm not sure I'd completely trust what the blink code indicates, as processor failure is pretty rare - it could be a problem with the processor socket or something else on the system board.

It may still be worth re-seating the ram modules - Page 67 and disconnecting the RTC battery for a couple of hours Page 89 on your Maintenance & Service Guide.

If you can find a cheap second hand processor, it may be worth replacind and see if this does solve the issue - a list of compatible AMD processors and the replacement procedure can be found on Page 118 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I tried this and it worked for me thank you!! This is the second time I've had to do this though do you know what could be causing it?
HP Recommended

My laptop model is HP Presario QC40. My battery is totaly drain out. When power goes off suddenly, caps lock & scoll led blink contoniusly and could not boot up. However, surprisingly it boot us today but the led blinks contoniusly. What may be causes how to fix it up.

HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Recommended

Model No. : HP ELITEBOOK 8470P, Product No. : B5Q11UT#ABA, 3 blinks

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  The motherboard had an electrical issue due to age (wear & tear) in which the solder on the transistors weakend (Broke) around the gpu and cpu area denying a constant amplification of energy needed to fully power up the board. Basically the motherboard shorted out once the flow of electric reached the broken circuit (solder).

Solution: I ended up removing the motherboard and performing a  (reflow)  which melted the solder, allowing it to re-dry and creating a solid block again to join and strengthen up the broken electrical circuit. "This required a static mat, brace and a heat gun."

Warning: I suggest learnig how to properly (reflow)  a motherboard. Take precaution, to avoid cauisng permanent damaging to the board. 

F.Y.I:   Do this under your own risk as i take no responsability for unexpected events.

I have shared this as a courtesy, based on the title of this article.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.