Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14-q000ed
Chrome OS

Ls,

A while ago I received a chromebook from a friend.

Today I got a boot failure with the message: Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick of SD card.
With help of Google support the errorcode was retrieved: recovery_reason 0x5b No bootable kernal found on disk.

I tried several usb and SD system recovery stick/disk options, but no success.

Unfortunately the warranty expired februari this year, just over one year ago the book was purchased  ;-(

Does anyone know a solution? or is there any way HP can  help me solve this problem so I can use my book again ?

Regards

Jerry

The Netherlands

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Follow the instructions on the following web document. I have tested this on my own chromebook 13, so I know that it works.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico, Thank you for the reply!

I have tried this several times with several media(USB and SD)

It is starting to recover after the integrity check but then the spinning wheel keeps spinning fo hours and nothing happens...

There is no activity on the USB stick either. I presume that during the recovery state there must be some reading from it but do not know this for sure..

Jerry

HP Recommended

Have you tried the steps on the following Chrome web document?

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6002417

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

erico,

This solution leeds to your first one, the result is the same, during system recovery process the spinning wheel keeps turning, no activity on USB lafsh drive, no working chromebook as a result... ;-(

Any other suggestions?

Jerry

HP Recommended

Same thing happened to me on my two year old hp chromebook 14.  I created two different usb sticks, got the same message and 0x5b.  Then after some time spent chatting with Russel at google support, I was recommended to HP support : 866-666-6523.    I had a 60 second conversation with a gentleman who suggests that the error message indicates  "hard drive failure". He suggests that a new chromebook would only cost $329 and that 2 years is all I should expect out of it.   I followed his advice and viola !  My new Mac Air solved the problem.     And I have a lovely white HP doorstop. Good Luck all.  Hope you find a solution.   

HP Recommended

Sept. 8th 2016 my HP chromebook 14 came up with the OS system is missing or damaged and I looked this up by typing exactily what the error message stated.  The website use a USB or SD card. Using anothing computer, I used my old Acer notebook with a SD card I was told to go to the Web Store and Download the Chromebook Utility Recovery App.  Of which I did and it gave me step by step instructions. 1st I downloaded the model number on the bottom of the error message on my chromebook you see it at the very bottom and then from there I verify the SD card I used clicked continue and then made sure I had the latest google chrome on my Acer netbook from there It copied and read its OS to the SD card and when it was through it told me it was ready watch and be patient it takes several minutes and goes through several different proceedures copying and then the easiest part is when it says its ready pop it out and insert it in the SD slot on your chromebook and it will copy the SD card it will tell you when to remove it will return your computer back to factory start but I dont mind to add my extensions and front wallpaper again make sure you store that SD card where you can find it because you might have to  recover it again.   Hope this helps others who have had this problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.