Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

OK when i first go my laptop cortana was working till i called Microsoft. now its not what do i do to get her back??????? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Shamika83

OK, thanks for the details ...

Unfortunately for you, the Recovery information that HP puts in their PCs will only restore the PC to the ORIGINAL state of the PC -- so if you updated the OS, it will go back to the original one.

In addition, the process of installing a new OS nearly always corruptes the Recovery information, so in all likelyhood, any Reset now is not going to work.

However, if your PC is basically working, you can try something known as  Repair-Install.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

If you make bootable Windows media from the Win10 download from the school, you follow the instructions in the link:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Shamika83

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What happened when you "called Microsoft"?  Did they remote into your PC and make some changes?

IF so, we are unable to help you as we have no way of knowing what they did, or what they "broke".

Sorry, but this is a Windows OS issue, and you will need to get back in touch with Microsoft to have them correct the damage they caused.

If you don't want to do that, an alternative is to do a factory reset of your PC to its original state -- but that will remove everything currently on the drive.

And for that, we need to know if your PC came preinstalled with Win10, or if you did the Win10 Upgrade from a prior OS.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

yes they did i could not down load one of my software for school so i called them. The guy could not get my key to work so he used one he had. He also said something to me about Cortana and i told him yes i want to keep her. But after i got off the phone i did not think to check to see if she was still up there till the next day when i tried to use her and she would not respond then my laptop started shuting off by it slef and would not keep power. I called my school they gave my the number to HP they came out and change the mother board but Cortana still not working............. so ill just do a factory reset cause i dont want to call them again. Yes i down load win 10 my school sent me the infor. for that and office .

HP Recommended

@Shamika83

OK, let me be sure I understand this correctly -- you got Win10 from your school (along with MS Office) and you installed them on your PC -- which is why it is running Win10 now?

Please don't try any reset until you answer my questions.

HP Recommended

yes when i started school they sent me a paper to down load windows 10 education and office professional Pro2016 this was back in January then when i got this laptop

HP Recommended

@Shamika83

OK, thanks for the details ...

Unfortunately for you, the Recovery information that HP puts in their PCs will only restore the PC to the ORIGINAL state of the PC -- so if you updated the OS, it will go back to the original one.

In addition, the process of installing a new OS nearly always corruptes the Recovery information, so in all likelyhood, any Reset now is not going to work.

However, if your PC is basically working, you can try something known as  Repair-Install.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

If you make bootable Windows media from the Win10 download from the school, you follow the instructions in the link:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

HP Recommended

thank you so much.....But when the tech from HP came i think thats what he did because i didn't have to redo anything.... i guess i will just have to do without Cortana (sad)      

but over THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.