Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp-17-p120w notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hp my drive update utility for hp super multi dvdrw internal drive gud0n for hp-17-p120w notebook pc download or firmware link

Mr. New York City
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@big-daddy55_,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

What exactly seems to be an issue with the optical drive? Is the drive not been detected or are you not able to play any DVDs.

The optical drive does not require any driver or firmware as it should normally be auto-detected. 

Try updating the BIOS on your PC using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Could you please respond to this post with the details so that I can provide you with accurate solution, which should help you resolve this issue.

Waiting for your response!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@big-daddy55_,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

What exactly seems to be an issue with the optical drive? Is the drive not been detected or are you not able to play any DVDs.

The optical drive does not require any driver or firmware as it should normally be auto-detected. 

Try updating the BIOS on your PC using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Could you please respond to this post with the details so that I can provide you with accurate solution, which should help you resolve this issue.

Waiting for your response!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

main problem is that it doesnt write. it used to... i've tried diffrent cd brands, difrent types of cd I.E. cd-r dvd- and +rw, but usually hit or miss and im wasting tones of$$ on purchasing these cd. now music and movies disks play fine so its reading those! but when i wasnt to burn, no joy...or i get lucky and it will burn. most success when i use win media player, NO JOY whn i use WINDOWS my os is win 10 home updated and current, updated BIOS...used the HP assistant which was next to usless but great on other things, what i really want is the "HP My Drive Utility" which i think may help. Again.... all purchase cd and dvd's that already has video and music on them works fine. but when i want to burn, no Joy! even went so far as to lower my write speed in media player. when that didnt work i TOTALLY REMOVED THE PHYSICAL DRIVE and then reinserted it and rebooted. No joy....help

Mr. New York City
HP Recommended

@big-daddy55_,

Thanks for the details,

In this scenario, I would suggest you can try to follow the steps from these links: 

HP DVD Writer - Finding and Upgrading the DVD Writer Firmware Version

HP PCs - CD or DVD Drive Cannot Burn Discs (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.