Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp probook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have the hp probook 6470b 64-bit laptop and i have been having issues with the pc being slow. i just did a reset and it supposedly reset the sofware but i did not lose any files or programs so some say it did nothing at all.

so what i want to do is just put in another hard drive that has win10 pro installed on it already, that way i'm pretty sure i will not have my program or files on it. but i have been told that you now just can't put in another hard drive with an os on it unless it can boot with legacy. i looking in my bios and i just did not see that option.  i have another hp Probook 6470b laptop that i took the hard drive out of a dell laptop and put in that one and it booted up after about 3 tries. 

some on the win10 forum told me i got lucky. so i want to as here to see if anyone happens to know if this model defaults to that legacy mode. or if i can install another hard drive and have it boot with a preinstalled os on it?  

i'm having tons of issues with this pc now it hesitates all the time and nothing is running. extra in the task manager. the mouse skips and hesitates, and if i click on a tab sometimes it goes fast and sometimes it hesitates. i did not have these issues before last dec. when i had to reset the pc because i tried to get the fingerprint scanner to work and after installing the software the pc failed to start. now spell check fails half the time and when i type it sometimes will not show for some time then all of a sudden i see words or sentences show up

i just did that restore about 2 weeks ago and nothing actually changed. i ran the windows memory test and that tells me the memory is good. and windows ran a hard drive test and that came out ok. so something is going on.  the last thing is the actual pc motherboard is starting to fail. but i get no beeps during startup.  and the tests i ran said all is good.  i do not have any virus programs running but for defender under the enterprise version of this os. 

so does anyone have an idea if i have to change the bios to legacy if the hard drive fails to boot up? on this model. thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

ok, i found out i have legacy turned on for boot up so i can install another drive with another os on it. the seller talked me thru that part. i ran the memory test and the quick hard drive test in the bios and both passed. but now the see if i still get that lag. when i move the mouse, type or try to change tabs? if so then i will get memory first as i want to upgrade to 16gb from 8gb and then if i still have it i will get another hard drive with the pro version installed and go from there. i now have enterprise installed and have these issues. when I had pro installed i did not have any issues. but i may have device issues so memory first then another hard drive. if anyone has any other things to try pass that on. thanks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

ok, i found out i have legacy turned on for boot up so i can install another drive with another os on it. the seller talked me thru that part. i ran the memory test and the quick hard drive test in the bios and both passed. but now the see if i still get that lag. when i move the mouse, type or try to change tabs? if so then i will get memory first as i want to upgrade to 16gb from 8gb and then if i still have it i will get another hard drive with the pro version installed and go from there. i now have enterprise installed and have these issues. when I had pro installed i did not have any issues. but i may have device issues so memory first then another hard drive. if anyone has any other things to try pass that on. thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.