Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15t-da000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Things started going wrong 1/8/2020.  In an attempt to fix 1 issue the HP Support Assistant stopped functioning.  Had to uninstall and reinstall.  I did.  I tried opening my new HP SA only to be told that a newer version existed, yet HP also said I had the most current version.  I have been trying to fix a video streaming flickering/stuttering/shimmying issue when projecting to my big screen TV via HDMI cable only in full screen mode that just all of a sudden started on the 8th (which I'm still working on that issue).  Yesterday I became fed up and wanted to do a FACTORY reset, found "a" reset option and reset my 4.25 month old laptop.  Needles to say the reset fixed NOTHING!.  So here I am today still trying to stop the video flickering issue; opened HP SA only to be told there's a newer version of HP SA would I like to download it; at least today when I clicked NO it still opened HP SA; and, here we are.

Why do I keep being told there is a newer version of HP SA???

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Frustrated420 

You might have accidentally installed (at some point) the HP Support Assistant from the Windows Store.

If that is the case, the Store version of the HPSA was developed for Windows in S mode that can only install software from the Windows Store.

Meantime, the 8.x (at this writing) of the HPSA, from the regular website installation, has been updated to support the pesky "S" mode windows.

DISCLAIMER

This is a GUESS - this has happened previously to other members - I am not saying it happened to you.

Once installed - regardless of how it gets on the system - "S" mode HPSA is sticky (hard to get rid of it).  From what I have read, Windows has to be reloaded to get rid of the mess. 

If that is not the problem, and you don't have some odd 9.x version of the "S" mode HPSA installed, then a clean removal of the existing HPSA and its companion software and a clean installation of the Support Assistant software will likely sort the problem for you.

HP Support Assistant - Remove and Install

What to do?

Read (or at least scan through) everything in the procedure to understand your options, then decide on a course of action.

Procedure Details - HP Support Assistant – Remove and Install

Read sections, then decide if / how to proceed.

There are settings to allow you to have the HPSA on the system without it updating your software "out from under you".  These settings allow you to use HPSA on your terms.

IMPORTANT

If the problem is related to a corrupted database within the control of the HPSA, the "cleanup" and reinstallation of the HP Support Assistant software may help resolve any issue(s).

Cleanup and installation may fix general issues, primarily those having to do with a corrupted HPSA database on the client system.

Removal and (Re)Installation does not fix actual errors.  For example,

• HPSA cannot handle package error conditions. For example, HPSA cannot fix an error in the installation package itself.

• HPSA cannot understand – and therefore cannot correct - undefined error conditions. For example, the program code does not include instructions “every” type of error.

• HPSA has been reported on occasion to install the BIOS and then have issues with the installation itself or become tangled in the process of rebooting / completing the BIOS installation.  The obvious takeaway for IT professionals (and everyone else for that matter) is to always manage and update the BIOS as a separate, manually installed update (Download, Save, Install).

• HPSA is an Update only software - it cannot, for example, search out updates for software that is not already installed on the computer.  

• HPSA might suggest an update that is not the same as that which is available in the computer's own Software and Drivers Website Support pages.   

• HPSA may not handle a condition where the Operating System on the computer is not a supported Operating System version.  For example, if you are running Windows 10 and there are no supported software and drivers for Windows 10, HPSA may hang while trying to find non-existent drivers.

If there is a problem in the Windows File system,

Then

• The reinstallation procedure will likely make no difference to the results.

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

How to install BIOS Updates:

Always connect the computer to AC Power and leave the power connected during the entire BIOS update procedure.

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

• Click on each update in the list to see a short description of that package
  • If BIOS is offered, simply set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates
  • If desired:  Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

==============================================================

“Regular” Uninstall - Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

➡️➡️  “Complete Cleanup” Uninstall of HPSA and companion software

Already in trouble?

• Stuck?  Cannot reinstall the HPSA software? 
  • Standard installation works but does not actually help?
  • Plagued by phantom messages for updates / action when no action is actually needed?

The "“Complete Cleanup” " option uninstalls the existing version of the HP Support Assistant and its companion software, HP Support Solutions Framework.  After that, a new, fresh copy of the HP Support Assistant can be installed (which will auto-install the HP Support Solutions Framework software).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder:  Before you start, it is best that your Windows Updates are already current and installed.

1. FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Important:  When / If asked whether you want to save any presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

1. Restart the computer and log in

1. Next:  Uninstall HP Support Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features

NOTE:  HP Support Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.  For this reason, HPSA must be uninstalled before the Solutions Framework can be removed.

1. Restart the computer and log in.

Final Check – Software is Removed

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click to uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Installation – HP Support Assistant

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• After download: If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Nothing Works…

If the reinstallation of the HPSA / Solution software does not resolve the problem,

Or

if you decide for any reason to not use the HPSA to install the software,

Then

Download and install your HP Software and Drivers manually.

Help / How-to:  HP PCs - Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers

READ Sections

For example:

Update specific drivers in Device Manager

Find driver updates on the HP website

Device Home Page

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Select category Software, Drivers & Firmware

Open All > Peruse the list > Select, download, save, install appropriate Software / Updates

AND / OR

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

From HP > CAUTION

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

No accident at some point I was directed to Microsoft download which I thought odd; however, that was a few days ago and I reset my computer last night.  I then installed HPSA from hp.com.  When I got up today and quit plugging and chugging at the video flicker issue, I turned to HPSA.  I opened it and it told me there's a newer version.  I've read your response and uninstalled HPSA AGAIN.  Restarted and HPSA is not in the list.  I cannot remove HP Support Solutions Framework because that is not in the list of HP softwares,....  There are:  HP Audio Control, HP Audio Switch, HP Connection Optimizer, HP Documentation, HP JumpStart (which is STUPID!), HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows, HP Privacy Settings, HP Smart, and HP System Even Utility.  I'm about to factory reset if only that were an option, now it's only "reset".  

So I currently do not have HPSA installed, but I have all that other stuff, but not what you said,......

HP Recommended

@Frustrated420 

Understood.

Product introduced in mid-2018

Product Homepage

HP Notebook - 15t-da000 CTO

One of 11 products in this category.

The two parts of the HPSA potentially located in Programs and Features :

1. HP Support Assistant
  2. HP Support Solutions Framework

In so much that I am aware, any other "HP" named products in located in Programs and Features are not related to the Support Assistant installation.

If the HP Support Solutions Framework is not installed, it might be due to the original installation of the  HP Support Assistant Application that was installed from the Store.   Perhaps the Solutions Framework cannot (did not / would not) install correctly.   ?? 

I am sorry I cannot adequately describe what "might be happening".  I have not seen this on my own systems - Anything I contribute is "second hand" knowledge at best.

What to do?

• You feel you were directed to install the wrong version from the store.  (I do not have any explanation for how / why that would be the case),
  • Your computer is still new (reported as 4.5 months of age in first your post).
  • You need assistance to know the best way forward in this situation,

You might best open a case with HP Technical Support (links provided in my first post). 

Why open a case?

• My reporting "Member says this happened" is NOT the same thing as you reporting the incident directly to HP. 
  • We have no direct means of contacting HP on your behalf.
  • My only solution, based on a couple of times I have interacted with members to whom this happened, is to reload Windows.  This may - or may not - be the only option / solution.

OR

If you wish to do so, recovery options...

For example,

Download recovery software to USB to recover your computer

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Source:  Software and Drivers Software and drivers for HP Notebook - 15t-da000 CTO

References

Documents in Category How to

Select Topic System Recovery, Backup & Restore

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and the search window to narrow the search. 

For example,

Category Computing and Mobile Devices

Sub-Category Restore Software and System Recovery

• Select your Video

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Notebook - 15t-da000 CTO

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Appreciate the information quite a bit to digest.  No matter how many times I uninstall HPSA, restart my computer, go to HP.com, and download HPSA from their site a window still pops up over HPSA when I open HPSA that tells me a new version is available want to download it?  yes no.  I no longer click on either and choose the "x" to get rid of the window overlay.

Thanks again for your time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.