Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 2000 240ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get high WMI Provder Host usage numbers, that slows everything down.  I have been stopping it by doing this:  run > services msc > windows management instrumentation > restart.   This stops it from occuring for a few days, but the it is back.

From the event viewer I found the 5858 error leading to process id error 6412   hpqwmiex.exe as the supposed culprit.

How and why does this need to happen?  It is a real drag, and a time consuming to restart it.   I took some screen shots to help explain this.  Is there a fix?  Or this one of those glitches?

Thanks

ron3033

event viewer.jpgTask manager.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ron3033,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I will be glad to help you with HP 2000-240CA Notebook PC.

I understand that you are having WMI Provider Host high CPU usage issue and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

After doing a research I found that hpqwmiex.exe is actually an HP Quick Launch Software.

It enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed and provides support for the Beats control panel.

The HP Quick Launch Software was installed only with Win 7 and as you are using Win 10 now that could be the reason for the  5858 error leading to process id error 6412.

You can disable it Or uninstall it and check the keyboard functionality.

if all the keys are responding correctly than you no longer need that software.

If the keys are not responding correctly than you can download it again using this link.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ron3033,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I will be glad to help you with HP 2000-240CA Notebook PC.

I understand that you are having WMI Provider Host high CPU usage issue and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

After doing a research I found that hpqwmiex.exe is actually an HP Quick Launch Software.

It enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed and provides support for the Beats control panel.

The HP Quick Launch Software was installed only with Win 7 and as you are using Win 10 now that could be the reason for the  5858 error leading to process id error 6412.

You can disable it Or uninstall it and check the keyboard functionality.

if all the keys are responding correctly than you no longer need that software.

If the keys are not responding correctly than you can download it again using this link.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi   Sorry I did not see your answer come in, as the "email me when someone replies." did not appear in my email.  I need to check where that email is being sent.

Yes this was a Win 7 that upgraded to Win 10 > version 1607   14393.1358.  Could you please give me a bit of help with how to disable or better uninstall HP Quick Launch Software, being sure I do not cause more of a problem?   I think you understand what I mean?  I take it out and mess things up and can not get back to where It was.  I am not the best at this, and need to be sure of what or what not to do.

Thanks ron3033

HP Recommended

Hi @ron3033,

Thank you for your reply. 🙂

It is a genuine pleasure to work with you.

Surely I will help with this.

You can follow the below steps to uninstall the HP quick launch software.

• Press the windows key and letter 'X' and a list will appear on the left bottom corner.
  • Select control panel.
  • Select Programs or Programs and Features and the below mention screen will appear.

• Look for the HP quick launch software.
  • Right click on the HP quick launch software and select uninstall.
  • If asked to restart your PC select restart now.

Let me know how it goes.

Have a great day! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.