Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp elitebook folio 1040 g1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

so lately i've been realising that only 2 gb of RAM instead of 8 is avalible when i check Task manager. When i check the memory in 'performance' it says that 3.5/6.9 when i can clearly see that only 1gb/50% of RAM is being used. My BIOS is at the latest version and i've changed the settings in msconfig. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jarvisx 

The terms "not using" and "not usable" are very different.  The second claims that the PC can not use all the memory -- which it should be able to do on a 64-bit version of Windows.  The first only indicates how much memory is in use when you check it. Mine only uses about 50% of the memory at any one time.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

my pc isn't using the maximum amount of memory that my pc has.

HP Recommended

i meant useable

HP Recommended

@jarvisx 

We're making no progress. What are you looking at in Task Manager? 

When I look at mine, it shows 52% of the memory being used -- and that 50% is of the total memory I have installed. That does not mean it can not use the remaining 48%; it just means it is not using it right now.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

i mean that the maximum amount of memory i use isn't the amount that i have in my pc

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.