Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i live here in moscow and received an hp pavillion g7-1219 wm notebook pc on may 21, 2012 via dhl from the u.s. and it was working until a couple of weeks ago!  to make a long story short, how can it be determined when its no longer worth it to keep taking a pc to a service center to keep it tuned or have it repaired every now and then????  when is it simply not worth it anymore to keep repairing a computer this old anymore????  how can this be determined assuming it can be determined in the first place?????  can someone please tell me if i should keep tuning this old notebook pc or not????  what should i do in this case?????  im all ears you guys.............  rsvp. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@davidpimenov 

There is no magic formulae that tells you a PC is no longer worth updating -- as that depends entirely on how much money you are willing to spend and what improvement you expect for that money.

From what I can tell, this laptop is about 8 years old -- or so, and it came with Win7 preloaded.

I have a similar HP DV6 laptop, of roughly the same age -- and I use it every day without any issues.

But ... I  have already replaced the keyboard once, and the drive twice -- the first time, with a newer drive, the second time with an SSD.  Similar SSDs today go for around $50, so on a $500 laptop, that is certainly a worthwhile investment.  I have also replaced the battery twice over the years.

It does not have a touch screen, but I have used newer ones that do and do not care for them -- so that is not an issue for me.  It also does not support 5GHz WiFi, on ly 2.4 -- but again, that is not an issue.  Nor does it have or support an illuminated keyboard -- once again, not an issue.  That said, there is really nothing more I can Upgrade in it -- so once it goes out, it's done.

Yours is likely the same -- as an SSD will make it boot faster and more responsive, but that is probably all you can do to improve the performance.  If it needed more than that, like a new screen, I would not spring for that, as a replacement laptop would be a better investment.

So, if you're happy with it, or with putting $50 or so into it, I would recommend keeping it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.