Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm using an attached screen, keyboard, and mouse with my HP Notebook 15-ba053nr. When I use Project and choose "Second screen only" it often switches back to "PC screen only". How do I get it so that I can shut the cover of the Notebook and just use it like a PC with connected screen, keyboard, and mouse? This was working for a while, with no heating or fan use in the Notebook, but I can't get this to work now. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @jzsj, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you would like to know how to get display on the external monitor with your laptop closed.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Sign-in to your Windows 10 computer with your account.
Right-click the Start button from the desktop window.
Click Power Options from the context menu that appears.
On the Power Options window, from the left pane, click Choose what closing the lid does.
From the System Settings window, from under the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section, from the When I close the lid drop-down lists under the On battery and Plugged in columns, choose "No nothing"  when you close your laptop’s lid from the list.
Click apply or save at the bottom of the screen and exit.

Next, hold Fn and F4 key you will get Project option on your laptop.
Select second screen only. This will make your laptop display to project it only to second screen.
Or 

Open the Control Panel (icons view), and select Display.
From the links on the left hand side, select Change display settings.
Alternatively, you can right click on an empty area on your desktop and select Screen Resolution.
Under Change the appearance of your display, you will see multiple display and your current main display will have small window around it and a notification at bottom with This is currently your main display.
Click on the display that you want to make your main display.
Check the box next to Make this my main display, and click on Ok to apply.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @jzsj, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you would like to know how to get display on the external monitor with your laptop closed.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Sign-in to your Windows 10 computer with your account.
Right-click the Start button from the desktop window.
Click Power Options from the context menu that appears.
On the Power Options window, from the left pane, click Choose what closing the lid does.
From the System Settings window, from under the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section, from the When I close the lid drop-down lists under the On battery and Plugged in columns, choose "No nothing"  when you close your laptop’s lid from the list.
Click apply or save at the bottom of the screen and exit.

Next, hold Fn and F4 key you will get Project option on your laptop.
Select second screen only. This will make your laptop display to project it only to second screen.
Or 

Open the Control Panel (icons view), and select Display.
From the links on the left hand side, select Change display settings.
Alternatively, you can right click on an empty area on your desktop and select Screen Resolution.
Under Change the appearance of your display, you will see multiple display and your current main display will have small window around it and a notification at bottom with This is currently your main display.
Click on the display that you want to make your main display.
Check the box next to Make this my main display, and click on Ok to apply.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed reply which agrees with what I have here.

It took an hour with an HP tech expert to get my question answered: there may have been a communication problem, but he was patient and In the end found the directive "Chose what closing the lid does" under "Control Pane l> Hardware and Sound > Power Options".  It seems to me this shold be on the Action Center menu (right side of task bar at bottom of desktop) under the Project menu, but there's no help there. That menu even insists on listing "PC screen only" when I'm using "Second screen only" with the lid closed. I am pleased that little heat is generated by the AMD processor and the fan seldom has to go on under this arrangement where I'm using an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

HP Recommended

Yes, very helpful MrRobot. I was using just plain click on the start button and so missed the menu I needed. Thanks! jzsj

HP Recommended

Hi @jzsj! You're welcome and thanks for your response and time,

I am glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.