Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi:

I have an Envy 15, about 4 years old and downloaded the HW diagnostics program sp88763.exe today.  Running the "Systems Test" everything passes except the battery check, it cancels itself.  The data logs show the reason as HP Service is not Installed.  When I run the diagnostics at  computer startup the battery test passes so I suspect the problem is not the battery, but the software program.  My wife`s 11 year old Pavilion computer is exhibiting the same test behavior but it does have a battery/charging issue- I would like to diagnose the problem with the software, and maybe her system just needs a battery calibration, that would be an easy fix.  So, I am hoping someone can shed some light on this glitch so I can use the diagnostics.

Thanks, Tom

P.S> I should also mention the AC Adapter Test also cancels after a few seconds.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@teranz

Thank you for replying!

The steps for windows 10 would apply to windows 8.1 as well, that said, the only other option you could attempt is to get the original software from the HP Recovery Manager and check if it works:

Click here for steps (Win7)

And Click here for steps on Windows 8.1 & 10.

If that doesn't work, the only other option would be a reset suggested earlier.

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to say thanks.

Have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@teranz

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out. 🙂

If it passes the battery test with F2, then it's definitely not a battery issue. Similarly, you could test the adapter as well, with F2. 

In this case, I would recommend re-installing the Hp diagnostics from this link, which might get it fixed. 

let me know if it worked out. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I`ve tried re-loading the HP HW Diagnostics from a link received  but the Battery Test results were the same.  However, when using the HP Assistant to run the Battery Test it  worked.  The test completed and the Battery is Good.  But it is still important that I can use the HW Diagnostics Test software on my wife`s Pavilion computer.  That issue remains.

Tom

HP Recommended

@teranz

It looks like you were interacting with @Barachiel, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service (Like a Genie without magic powers) 😉 

Let me get this straight, you've reinstalled/reloaded the hardware diagnostics tool on your device and the tests have passed, however, you've reinstalled the same on your wife's device but the issue persists, is that right?

If yes, I'll need the model/product number of your wife's device and we'll get to work,

If no, please elaborate so that we can get you a more accurate solution.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge victorious)

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher:

Even after re-installing the HW Diagnostics program on my Envy 15 the battery test continues to cancel shortly after being started.  The reason listed in the Test Logs is: HP service is not installed.  Nothing has changed with this.  What did work is the battery test in the HP Assistant.

So, here is info on my system:

HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC

Serial Number:  [removed per Rules Of Participation]

Product Number:  E1P04AV

My initial reason for downloading the HW Diagnostics was to troubleshoot my wife`s Pavilion 15 but since the program fails on my system it seems I may as well get that resolved first.

Thanks! Tom

HP Recommended

@teranz

Thank you for responding with the details,

I recommend you backup all your personal data into an external hard drive or an online cloud storage and then perform a windows push button reset to restore factory settings, and resolve this issue: Click here for steps.

Keep us posted, 

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, I looked at the link suggested for a "Push Button Reset" and if I read it correctly it applies to Windows 10.... I have 8.1 and my wife has 7.  Seems drastic to solve a battery test.  Is there not a less extreme way to fix this?  Keep in mind my HP Envy Battery is original and good (performing well and passes test in HP Assistant), the HW Diagnostics battery test should work on it.

Tom

HP Recommended

@teranz

Thank you for replying!

The steps for windows 10 would apply to windows 8.1 as well, that said, the only other option you could attempt is to get the original software from the HP Recovery Manager and check if it works:

Click here for steps (Win7)

And Click here for steps on Windows 8.1 & 10.

If that doesn't work, the only other option would be a reset suggested earlier.

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to say thanks.

Have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.