Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6409
Microsoft Windows Vista
i changed my hard drive took out the internal battery and the external one have windows vista to reinstall do i need to use a router to get the lanline to hit i am starting from the hp black logo screen where you pick esc or f10 any helpful info would be most welcome thank you in advance
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello, I don't understand all.. You want to boot Windows from an external hard drive?? Or the Windows installation program?? 

I think Windows can't boot from an external hard drive.. When you enter Esc at startup with any external hard drive you can have access to the boot menu? Or if you put your drive with Windows inside your PC?? 

Re: what do i need to change hard drive               

Or do you want to make a clone same I have tell here?? If It is this, you need to put inside your PC the disk with Windows (if working) and after connect in USB the free disk. You can also use a program same this to clone:

https://www.acronis.com/fr-fr/homecomputing/thanks/acronis-true-image-2020/

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.