Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am new to Windows and bought a wonderful new HP Spectre x360 15" laptop.

It seems from the various guides I've read that if the computer is sleeping the power button will blink.

In my power management control panels (including advanced) I have made sure that Hibernate is just turned off. However, whether on power or battery, if the computer is asleep with the lid closed, after a while the power light goes completely off, which seems to indicate the laptop has actually moved to Hibernate mode.

I don't mind the hibernate mode so much except for three things:

(1) Once the laptop has moved itself from sleep to hibernate mode, opening the lid or touching a key does not wake it up, I have to press the power button. I have seen search result hits that talk about enabling waking up the computer with the keyboard -- so I will read those and am not looking for an answer to this here ... I am just mentioning it.

(2) It's bothering me that even though I don't allow hibernate anywhere that I can find in Settings, the computer puts itself into hibernate mode anyhow. (Again, I am *presuming* this is "hibernate mode" because the power light goes out and opening the lid does not wake it up ... for the first few minutes, when it is still in sleep mode, the power button blinks and opening the lid turns on the screen.) 

(3) I can't tell if the laptop is off or in hibernate!!

QUESTION 1: How can I tell for sure if the laptop is just in sleep mode but for some reason the power button stops blinking and just has no light at all, or if the laptop is in hibernate mode? 

QUESTION 2: For folks who allow hibernate mode (or, as in my case, seem to not be able to avoid it in spite of turning it off in settings) -- how do you tell when the lid is closed whether your computer is in hibernate or turned off?

I would hate to pack it in a backpack in hibernate mode. But it seems the only way I can tell if it's in hibernate mode is to (1) open the lid, and (2) press the power button. If the screen turns on quickly and I am not presented with the log-in screen, it was in hibernate. But if the laptop was actually off, pressing the power button will turn it on, which is NOT what I want to do if I have to quickly put it in a bag and get to a meeting!!

So, again, what visual clue is there that the laptop is in hibernate versus turned off completely?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give this Windows laptop newbie!

kazar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @kazar,

Thanks for the post. 

I see you are looking for the difference between sleep and hibernate also you want the computer to wake up when you press any key on your keyboard. Glad to help. 

Kudos to you for reviewing the power settings on your computer. 

Have you checked the power management for keyboard in the device manager?

Recommend you to enable the keyboard to wake up the computer in device manager, refer to the screenshot below. 

Recommend you to review the power settings for closing the lid and how the computer should behave in sleep and hibernate. 

Power LED blinking is not mandatory for you to understand whether the computer is in sleep mode or hibernate mode.

You can refer to HP and Microsoft articles to understand sleep and hibernation mode. 

HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues

Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC

Also, recommend you check and install all the updates meant for your computer using HP Support Assistant. Click here to know more. Make sure BIOS is updated. 

Let me how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @kazar,

Thanks for the post. 

I see you are looking for the difference between sleep and hibernate also you want the computer to wake up when you press any key on your keyboard. Glad to help. 

Kudos to you for reviewing the power settings on your computer. 

Have you checked the power management for keyboard in the device manager?

Recommend you to enable the keyboard to wake up the computer in device manager, refer to the screenshot below. 

Recommend you to review the power settings for closing the lid and how the computer should behave in sleep and hibernate. 

Power LED blinking is not mandatory for you to understand whether the computer is in sleep mode or hibernate mode.

You can refer to HP and Microsoft articles to understand sleep and hibernation mode. 

HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues

Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC

Also, recommend you check and install all the updates meant for your computer using HP Support Assistant. Click here to know more. Make sure BIOS is updated. 

Let me how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, @Chimney_83 !

I do understand the difference between sleep and hibernate. What I don't understand is why even though I have hibernate disabled in all power settings, the laptop moves from sleep to hibernate a while after I close the lid. I am presuming it is in hibernate because the power button stops blinking and the computer requires a press of the power button to wake it up again. (But wake-up is fast and all my windows are still open, so it was not shut down, definitely was hibernating.)

What I don't understand is how to tell the difference between the computer hibernating and being turned off completely? Imagine you are in a big rush to get to a meeting and want to put the computer into a sleeve and then into a backpack. Bad idea if the computer is on at all (even if hibernating), best to have it shut down. You look at your laptop on the desk. The screen is black and the power button is not blinking or on. 

Is it in hibernate state or shut off, how can you tell? If it is hibernating a quick press of the power button will wake it up again, but if it was shut down a press of the power button will start up the computer and then you have to shut it down again before packing it for your meeting.

As for the keyboard waking the computer up from hibernate mode, I don't know if I'm asking for something that's possible, I believe keyboard only wakes from sleep mode. I will have a look at the settings you so kindly provided when I am back on my laptop later today, and will post back.

As for why my laptop goes into hibernate at all, that remains a mystery to me. I have visited every area of power management that I could find and it is only set to sleep, never to hibernate, whether on battery or power.

Thanks again for your excellent reply. I don't know that it is a solution to my Qs yet though 🙂

kazar

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to contact our phone support for assistance as they can take a remote of your computer and check the power settings for you. 

Good Luck. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.