Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion gaming
Microsoft Windows Server 2019

the steam gaming platform won't launch after being installed on my new laptop. It works fine on my old laptop but my new one says, "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again." My internet is connected and works fine. I tried turning off the firewall and it didn't change anything.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@peacebythebeach 

I do not know whether Steam is even compatible with Operating System Microsoft Windows Server 2019 

Regardless, I believe this is something related to the game platform itself and not to the brand of computer.

Various solutions, for example:

How to Fix Steam Needs to be Online to Update

and

FIX: Steam needs to be online to update error in Windows 10

Which might work?

• Compatibility mode - if the steam software is old, it may run better (or at all) in compatibility mode.
  • Adjust the Steam settings to disable it from starting automatically.  (Solution 12 in the second example)
  • If you are not doing so, make sure you are installing / updating / running the software using an administrator privileged account.  For example, Right-Click on the software and select Run as Administrator

What else?

Use your favorite browser and search for help.

For example, search for 

steam gaming platform "steam needs to be online to update"

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.