Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 15-bs042nk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello,

I need some help please,
I have just bought a new laptop three days ago (hp 15-bs042nk) , and actually it makes a strange clicking noise (like if it's reading a DVD), I found it weird since it wasn't cheap to say that this is normal with it,

this is my laptop charachteristics

and here is the audio that I recorded for my laptop

noise audio here

So do you find this sound normal ?? what should I do ? should I get back to the shop since I have the guarantee?

thank you so much for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@OBG96

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honour to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

The noise from the audio clip you've shared sounds like a mechanical failure and hence I recommend you start with a hardware test to confirm the same,

You may perform an extensive system test using the below steps:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

If the tests pass, you may want to connect a headphone to your laptop and check if the sound appears on the headphone as well, if the headphone isn't making the noise but the speakers or the computer itself continues to make the noise, please refer to my private message for further assistance.

If the sound appears from the headphone when connected, it's merely an issue with the sound drivers, reinstalling it from the device manager followed by updating the BIOS, Chipset and audio drivers from the HP website, should resolve the issue: Click here to find and install the same.

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off,

as I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge, and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@OBG96

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honour to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

The noise from the audio clip you've shared sounds like a mechanical failure and hence I recommend you start with a hardware test to confirm the same,

You may perform an extensive system test using the below steps:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

If the tests pass, you may want to connect a headphone to your laptop and check if the sound appears on the headphone as well, if the headphone isn't making the noise but the speakers or the computer itself continues to make the noise, please refer to my private message for further assistance.

If the sound appears from the headphone when connected, it's merely an issue with the sound drivers, reinstalling it from the device manager followed by updating the BIOS, Chipset and audio drivers from the HP website, should resolve the issue: Click here to find and install the same.

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off,

as I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge, and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it

Actually I followed the 3 first steps, but coming to HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, there is no System Tests in it.

here is the menu that appears 

41547311_2778783905481210_8758773454372601856_n.jpg

Should I go for Hard Drive Check ?

and I want to let you know that I remarked that the clicky noise disappeared when I was in the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics  menu, I don't know if this is going to help you to figure out the origin of the noise, and it came back when I launched the laptop again

Thank you again for you efforts and kindness

HP Recommended

@OBG96

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

Please go ahead and run the hard drive check as well, also I'm not able to view the image,  could you write what you're referring to?

That said, if the sound only occurs on windows and not on the BIOS or outside windows, this could be an issue with the speakers, have you tried connecting a headphone to check if that continues to have the same noise or if it works fine?

Keep me posted,

Eager to help you sort this.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
It's me who has to thank you for your help and your time also.

So the image shows the HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI menu that appeared to me , it contains :
-Memory test
-Hard Drive check
-Language
-Exit

I run Hard Drive check (quick check)
And it shows :
SMART Check : PASSED
SHORT DST : PASSED

And now I tried Hard Drive check (extensive check) and it seems that it will take long time to finish (estimated time remaining : 2 hours and 38 minutes)
Should I just stop it or leave it continue the checking?

And concerning the headphone, I tried it but the sound doesn't appear on it and the computer continues to make the noise

Thank you again, and I really wish to find a solution to this noise, cause it really disturbs me while I'm working.
HP Recommended

@OBG96

Your humble words have made my day,

That said, I welcome you back!

I appreciate your efforts and I recommend you wait until the extensive test completes,

Also, the noise could be intermittent, hence I recommend you wait while the test is running and see if the noise appears during the test as well.

Let me know how that pans out,

I'll be with you until we get all of it sorted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I wanted to tell you that the extensive  test completed, and the result is :

Spoiler

Testing Drive : 1

SMART Check : PASSED

Long DST : PASSED

so what's next ? 

Thank you so much ^^

HP Recommended

@OBG96

Welcome back,

Your comments have made my day better & my only mission now is to make yours better too!

Please refer to your private message for my response to assist you further to resolve this concern.

If you have any other concerns reply to the same message and I'll help you out.

I hope you have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi bro

I am facing the same problem. I already did the steps mentioned and I don't hear the noise in earphone so can you tell me what was your solution?? 

Thanks 

Rahul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.