Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a new hp650 laptop here in the office and i would like to change the settings for the touchpad. i wouldnt mind using it, but whenever i type on the keyboard and come close to it, it makes me skip lines because it always jumps to the cursor. it makes me crazy! how can i stop that, i couldnt find anything at the control panel that would work. thank you

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi culturalugcs,

I would like you to first help me understand the issue with your NB.. While typing is that the keyboard cursor on the scree just jumps or is that the touchpad pointer is erratic and jumps/moves by itself.?

However, just try decreasing the sensitivity of the touchpad from it's settings and if that does not fix the issue then please uninstall and reinstall the keyboard drivers(it's generic driver- installs by itself when you restart the NB) from Device Manager and then check. After that try to update the tocuhpad driver for your NB from www.hp.com website.

I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Kudos' star on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue....

HP Recommended

I have a new hp650 laptop i would like to change the settings of touchpad. i don't mind using it but only when it is needed, now whenever i type on the keyboard and touch it by mistake, it starts typing somewhere else as the cursor jumps to another place because touchpad is always active. How to activate & de-activate this touchpad, where are setting for this?

HP Recommended

Hello KulwantRawat,

You want to be able to activate and deactivate your  touchpad at any given time, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Normally in the top left hand corner of the touchpad there is a button you can double click that will allow you lock and unlock the touchpad. There is also  an amber light next to the touchpad that will glow to signify the touchpad is locked.

touchpad.PNG

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Yes I was also guessing that something is related with this button. But it didn't work when I double click it by pressing it & nothing happens. After receiving your solution I tried doing it several times by finger & even tried doing it by pencil, but nothing happened. Any other method for this setting? Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended
Search for Synaptics Touchpad in your Start Menu.. i hope its there and would help
HP Recommended
and if it isn't there, please specify the operating system you use.
HP Recommended

Windows 7 Professional

HP Recommended

@KulwantRawat,

1. Try to access the device manager, if you are unsure how to access the device manager have a look at this document 
  2. Once you are in the device manager go down to mice and other pointing devices, expand the section and right click on the Synaptics option.
  3. Left click on properties, and a box will appear with tabs at the top.
  4. Click on the driver tab and see if you can click the disable button, there is a chance that it might be grayed out.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

There is no Synaptics option available under Mice & other pointing devices. only 2 options are there HID-compliant mouse & PS/2 Compatible Mouse. Thats it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.