Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-cf0006dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought this long CableCreation USB-C to USB-3 cable for my WD MyPassport external hard drive, but no matter which way I insert the C male end into the female jack on this laptop, it only gives the external hard drive power, by lighting up the power light & spinning the drive. It never pops up on my available drives or other devices. I also basically have the same problem with a Kingwin USB C hub adapter...it's C cable won't do anything either with my laptop. I've bought their regular USB hub adapter in the past without issue. Even USB-C printer cables I've bought won't work either. So I don't know why USB-C jack doesn't work properly; I've never really needed/attempted to use it before the mfr warranty expired.

here's links of the two items I bought, plus a screenshot of CableCreation's response to my product question.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012V56654/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DF7YW16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HQ3LP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Besides that, I recently had basically same issues using both USB jacks by using original (looked like original black cables) WD cables that came with the hard drives. It would only work once I located another cable for drives I put for my kids to use at PS4 backup drives, that were orange & yellow, and had same color cables...so the orange one connects my hard drive to the USB jack.

IMG-2720.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

Unless I'm mistaken, you won't find any specific driver for usb c..
I may not have understood everything
but your computer normally:

14-cf0006dx Product Specifications

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1

your HDD, does not work with any of these ports?
Have you tried connecting different devices to each of these usb ports?
From what you indicate, it seems that it is your HDD which has a problem, unless you have three different ports damaged at the same time..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

my external WD HDD works fine using a (orange) cable (see picture) that was sent with one of their similar drives, using either of the two regular USB 2.0/3.0 jacks on the right side of the laptop. It's the USB-C jack on the left side of my laptop that isn't recognizing any cables that I plug into it, whether it's the cable I bought for the HDD, the cable that came with the Kingwin USB-C hub for USB/SD/micr-SD/misc, nor the USB-C printer cable I bought. my laptop isn't recognizing any of those USB-C cables that I plug into the USB-C jack. I've included pictures of various items I've mentioned above...works in regular USB jacks, but don't work using a USB-C cable & associated jack on my laptop.

thanks

left side of laptop showing USB-C jack that laptop doesn't seem to recognize any cables plugged into itleft side of laptop showing USB-C jack that laptop doesn't seem to recognize any cables plugged into itright side of laptop showing 2 USB jacks that workright side of laptop showing 2 USB jacks that workFasgear brand usb-3.0 HDD to USB-C cable doesn't work/not recognizedFasgear brand usb-3.0 HDD to USB-C cable doesn't work/not recognizedCable Creation usb-3.0 HDD to USB-C cable doesn't work/not recognizedCable Creation usb-3.0 HDD to USB-C cable doesn't work/not recognizedWD MyPassport drive with WD orange cable, Kingwin USB hub adapterWD MyPassport drive with WD orange cable, Kingwin USB hub adapter

HP Recommended

That doesn't exactly answer what I said.
It is not the cable that has to be recognized, but the device that is connected!
The cable may not work, not suitable, the usb port, defective..
My question being, if a device connected with its own compatible cable, does it work...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.