Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a Pavilion Laptop when I connect my Samsung phone onto the laptop using the USB C port with a cable with  C connections both sides, the  phone just goes to charge. Is it just a charging connection or should I be able to access  my phone data as well.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dagg31 

What is your Pavillion Laptop  ? Normally yes. You have to allow your computer to access to your phone.

foney.png

Otherwise it says Empty.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi. It's a hp pavillion laptop 15-cw1511sa. My laptop find 's my phone when I use the standard USB port it shows in my PC, but doesn't when I use the smaller port it just charges the phone.  I know the port works because I have tried a external hard drive.

Can't seem to find anything on my phone to alter anything.

HP Recommended

Your Samsung Android phone is defaulted to charge only when connected to a computer.

However you can change that.

Connect your phone but hold your phone and look at the screen because there is a message that comes up (make sure it is not on lock screen).

On the phone it will tell you that it is in charging mode to change,....

Swipe down from top (on phone) and you will see about 3-4 options depending on phone. One will be related to Data, Samsung has called it different things at different times, but it will be data related. Tap that, tap confirm and it will vanish off laptop then reappear and you can then access the data.

HP Recommended

When i go into my phone settings they are USB settings, they are USB controlled by This Phone, Use USB for Transferring files/Android auto. Like I say if I use the big USB port it finds my phone and I can access my phone data, but if I use small port it just charges and I can't access the USB settings to see what it is set on. The small port does work as I can access a external drive and see what data is on it. May be the small port doesn't like my phone. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.