Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-r206ne (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the above-mentioned laptop in 2015 with genuine windows os in it, but recently I have done a hardcore reset on hard disks and lost the original version of windows on my pc therefore I installed a trial version of Windows 10. Now my pc is prompting to get the windows activated. Can anyone help to get the genuine OS back to my PC or provide some steps to get my Key from HP support to  Genuine Windows OS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Now that you have W10 installed, install this free app that will show you the Windows OEM product key in your notebook's BIOS and the version of Windows the key is good for.

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

Once you get that info, let me know the OEM version of Windows 8 the report gives on the last line.

The report will look something like this...

OEM Edition: Win 8.1 RTM Professional OEM:DM

Then I will give you the steps to reinstall Windows for free as long as the edition of Windows is not Windows 8.1 with Bing.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Now that you have W10 installed, install this free app that will show you the Windows OEM product key in your notebook's BIOS and the version of Windows the key is good for.

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

Once you get that info, let me know the OEM version of Windows 8 the report gives on the last line.

The report will look something like this...

OEM Edition: Win 8.1 RTM Professional OEM:DM

Then I will give you the steps to reinstall Windows for free as long as the edition of Windows is not Windows 8.1 with Bing.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

It showed as follows,

OEM Edition: Win8.1 RTM CoreSingle Language OEM:DM

Please tell me about further steps.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What you can do is this...

Download the plain W8.1 64 bit single language ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a free utility such as Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

You shouldn't even need the product key to install W8.1 but since you have it, print it out just in case.

After W8.1 has completed installing you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Notebook - 15-r206ne (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Then if you would like to upgrade for free to Windows 10 Single Language, after you get connected to the internet on W8.1 and it is activated, all you need to do is click on the blue Update Now button at the link below, and you can have W10 Single Language legally installed and activated.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Hey !!!

I need some clearer steps to follow cause I don't want to lose the present data. Can you give some links for websites or videos to follow step by step?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

After you boot from the W8.1 installation media and you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' do not delete or format any of the partitions.

Just install W8.1 on the same partition that W10 is currently installed on, and it will create a Windows.old folder. 

After W8.1 has installed, you can explore the Windows.old folder find your old user profile, and copy and paste the files you need to save onto a portable hard drive. 

I don't have any links to give you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.