Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i have a 17t-cg100 on order which has the FHD resolution and the MX450. But i just remembered my monitor is 2560x1440 res and i'm worried the hdmi port will be limited to 1080p. is this true? i can't find any specs on the HDMI port or if the chipset will support higher resolutions.

if not, should i try getting a usb-c dock that supports 4k (and lower) resolutions? or change my order?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dfrhodes 

HDMI 2.0 should support 4k monitor. I tested many similar specs on many different machines from HP, Dell, Asus

It also has 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port. I tested on HP, Dell machines... which have same USB-C specs and 65W charger. I did not use adapter but USB-C Gen 5 dock. 

I'm using the above mentioned dock with one of my HP machine right now and I get TRUE single cable option.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dfrhodes 

17t-cg100 is a CTO machine, we do not have its speca but it should have same ports of the following machine

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c06960591

It has 1 HDMI 2.0 port which supports  up to 4096 × 2160 at 60 Hz.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. I see that the HDMI port is v2.0 but I also know that that doesn't guarantee 4k resolution. I see that the MX450 chip will handle 4k as well, but they make note that it is designed to only connect to the builtin display and any external connectivity is via the PCIe bus. So i think it comes down to what HP decided to do design wise, correct?

also, do you know if the usb-c > displayport adapter option is a backup plan? i see that it handles 10Gbs so in theory the bandwidth is there. i would just need to get a dock or hub.

HP Recommended

@dfrhodes 

HDMI 2.0 should support 4k monitor. I tested many similar specs on many different machines from HP, Dell, Asus

It also has 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port. I tested on HP, Dell machines... which have same USB-C specs and 65W charger. I did not use adapter but USB-C Gen 5 dock. 

I'm using the above mentioned dock with one of my HP machine right now and I get TRUE single cable option.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

i finally got my dock setup, with displayport and it works great. Had to go with the gen4 though as the gen5 was out of stock.

pretty slick with the usb-c single cable. i was skeptical it could handle power, all 9 of my usb devices, laptop power AND video

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.