Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce0504na
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi

I can use the HP Pavillion HDMI output on a 27" 4k Samsung monitor and a 43" Samsung TV and can get 4k displayed

I also  have  a 15" 4k portable display and when I hook it up to a MacBook  pro with USBC then I also get 4k display.

So my HP Pavillion is capable of providing 4k over HDMI, and the portable display is capable of displaying 4K.

But when I hook up the 4k portable display to my HP pavillion 14 on HDMI, I can only get 1920x1080.

My pavillion has usb-c but does not support video over usb-c

Microsoft support suggested updating the drivers, but when i go to HP, there are no Windows 11 drivers available for my laptop

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@bonnydeal wrote:

... But when I hook up the 4k portable display to my HP pavillion 14 on HDMI, I can only get 1920x1080.

My pavillion has usb-c but does not support video over usb-c

@bonnydeal 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06051260

It has HDMI 1.4 you can have up to 4K at 30Hzwith a right cable (HDMI ver 2 cable).

Your machine has 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge) port which support video out and get DP 1.2 specs,

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, I can get 4k when connected via HDMI to a  4k Samsung monitor and also when connected via HDMI to a 4k Samsung TV.

However when I connect the portable 4k monitor via HDMI it only allows 1920x1080.

The portable 4k monitor can be connected to a MacBook at 4k

So both the HP laptop and the portable display support 4k, but i am not getting it when connecting the two.

MS Support thought it might be the video drivers not recognising correctly the capabilities of the portable display HDMI 

HP Recommended

@bonnydeal 

The ROT is: resolution goes up the refresh rate will go down and vice versa. Now you set refresh rate to 30Hz or lower for your screen, you should be able to get 4K on HDMI 1.4.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks. How do i reduce the refresh rate refresh rate? 

The only options i get are: 60Hz,  59.94 Hz and 50 Hz

refresh.png

HP Recommended

@bonnydeal 

Looks like you can't, your monitor may not support that. Can you over type the number ?

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi

No I can't overtype it.

Also when I hook up the Samsung 4k it does show the 30Hz option, so i guess that is why that one works.

Is there perhaps a way to upgrade the driver to allow 30Hz? Also I will contact the monitor supplier to check if it allows 30Hz.

Thanks  for helping, it's much appreciated

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.