Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've seen plenty of people having the same problem, but did not find anything that would have solved my problem.

My HP Pavilion has integrated AMD Radeon R5 (Primary) and AMD Radeon R7 M260 (linked). No matter what program or game I'm running, the laptop never uses R7 M260, but just runs low FPS with the R5.

I'm using Win 10.

What I have tried:

1. Updating BIOS with latest BIOS from HP website

2. Using latest AMD Radeon drivers from HP website

3. Using latest AMD Radeon drivers from AMD website

4. Putting everything to max performance from AMD Settings

5. Putting everything to max performance from Windows power saving

6. Re-installing the Windows 10 from scratch

7. Disabling the R5 (still does not use R7, but drops FPS to 1-3)

Still, the laptop never uses R7. No matter what game, no matter how high or low graphics, the laptop uses only the R5 - no matter how low FPS.

Has anyone found a solution for this? Or have I basically paid extra to have a better graphics card, which can never be used?

Radeon settings.JPG

add set 1.JPG

add set 2.JPG

add set 3.JPG

AMD system.JPG

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @CufflinksOP,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂 
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I will glad to help you with your HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-035z CTO.

As I understand that you having AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphic card related issue.

I see that you have performed almost all the troubleshooting which you can try to resolve the issue.

I would first recommend you to perform hardware diagnostics on the GPU.

• Turn on the computer.
  • Immediately press the f2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the UEFI menu opens.
  • When the UEFI menu will appear.

• Select system tests.
  • Select quick test.
  • select run once.

If it gives you any error message contact HP Phone Support for further assistance.

You can also try these steps: Assigning Applications to GPU.

Assigning applications allows the user to specify which graphics processor is best suited for 3D applications. Selecting the high performance will engage the discrete GPU and allow the system to increase graphical processing capabilities.

Note! The operating system may restrict certain applications from using the discrete GPU. For example, Internet browsers and video applications.

To add an application to use the high-performance GPU:

• Navigate to Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings > Power > Switchable Graphics Application Settings and the click Add Application.

• Select the application you want to add and click Open.

• Under Graphic Settings choose High Performance and click apply.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Have a great day! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.