Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-dh0000nx Gaming Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got my Laptop repaired from an HP agent, it was completely formatted and the Windows was reinstalled(Though I'm not sure about the quality of the job) and I've been having an odd issue ever since.

All videos(browser or otherwise) only show black, I can still hear the audio, but no image is showing.

BUT! (and this is a weird one) The video is still playing, when I alt tab and move my cursor over the app that's playing the video, it shows me the preview and I can clearly see the video, but when I click it to move my focus to that app, the video turns black, also, say for example on YouTube, when I click the windows icon, the video is showing image and is normally playing in the background, but when I click back on the browser it goes black again.

I never saw any issue like this before, and I don't know how to fix it.

When does this happen? It usually happens when I restart the laptop, and the things I do that TEMPORARILY solved the problem is:
-Reinstalling the graphics card driver from NVIDIA GeForce Experience, which fixes it until the next restart.
-Restarting my laptop again, which doesn't work most of the time, but when it works it only fixes it until the next restart.

One other interesting thing to note, when I take a screenshot of the video, the image ACTUALLY SHOWS in the screenshot, but in my screen it's just black.

https://imgur.com/rTaP6jQ

In that screenshot, the video is clearly visible but in my screen it's just black, only black.

When I preview it from my taskbar, the video is visible until I click: https://imgur.com/YJnf8aC

I genuinely have no idea what could be causing it, but with the alt tab and the preview thing, it makes me think this might be a focus issue. I really hope someone could help, thanks in advance!

Please ask if you need more info to help.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

@Alb101 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that  All videos have audio but show no image, only black.

Please perform the system test.

Please perform the below steps on the computer to run a System Test

- Shut down/Turn off the computer

- Once the computer is completely Shut down/Turned off

- Now press the power button once to turn on the computer and immediately start pressing/tapping the F2 key on the keyboard

- This should open the UEFI Diagnostic screen on the computer

- Please select System Test and then select Extensive Test

Please let us know the result.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hey Praveen, I did what you said and I do get the UEFI screen but there is no 'System Test' option.

This is what I see: https://i.imgur.com/FGbe2TU.jpg 

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

Version 1.25.0.0 - BIOS

Memory Test

Storage Tests

Hard Drive Check

Language

Exit

Those are the only options, unfortunately.

HP Recommended

@Alb101

Thank you for the update.

Please update the HP PC hardware diagnostic and then try to perform the system test.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl...

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I did an extensive test, that, took 3 hours, I couldn't copy the logs because I don't have a USB so I used the QR code.

Here's the result:

Model: OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dh0xxx

Serial Number: Hidden.
Product ID: Hidden.
CSO Number:
Agent ID:
================================================
Start Time Type Result Failure ID
------------------- ------------------ -------- ---------------------------
2020-10-13 01:09:44 System [E] Passed NA

<END>

It doesn't seem like there's anything wrong there?

Thank you for your time

HP Recommended

@Alb101

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggets you perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

What's more likely to fix my issue, the cloud download or the local reinstall?

HP Recommended

@Alb101

I would suggets you download it from the HP cloud.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

So, I reinstalled my Windows and now I'm in the process of trying to repair every single program I had, which isn't really fun.

The issue isn't fixed, videos still won't appear when they're in the front of my screen, they appear behind other apps but whenever I pull the page to the front of my screen the video gets covered in black almost like a censor, it's really irritating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.