Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
14-ak013dx ChromeBook
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I need to know where the monitors backlight fuse is located on the motherboard. Motherboard model number is 830017-001 or N9E35UA.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The fuse is located on the back of the mother board behind the LCD plug.  It will be bright white, and slightly bigger than the rest.  Just jump it with soldier to make it work again.

See red square on picture.

Fuse locationFuse location

HP Recommended

Hello,  We are having a LOT of issues with the backlight not being adjustable (fuse we assume) popping on the G3 & G4 motherboards.   Can we get some photos posted of where these fuses are located?  It is very wasteful and not good stewardship of our tax dollars to throw away motherboards for a mere fuse issue.  

HP Recommended

I replied to someone else thread and someone (im guessing a moderator) from the forums removed my long post explaining the problem and solution.

HP Recommended

That's a shame.  I've now had someone else look at this and it seems unfortunately the issue isn't with the fuse anyway. 

HP Recommended

The fuse for the Chromebook 11G3 is located under the LCD connector it’s the brown one with the letter “N” on it. In my second image you can see I replaced it with a small gauge wire and the backlight came back on. (Wire is only temporary you need to find a fuse to replace it with)

AD87EC10-961D-4B2F-8623-95D85BDA9FB6.jpeg

B1988AB7-4BF1-4B5E-9BF5-88E079F186FE.jpeg

HP Recommended

Thank You!  We will give this a try.  Really appreciate your reply. 

HP Recommended

Another similar problem with these Chromebooks is that the SSD sometimes takes a dump. Since it soldered its really hard to replace the SSD. If you have a lot of these same Chromebooks you can take the fuse from the one's with the SSD issues and put them on the ones with the back-light issue and salvage a few of them.

HP Recommended

Good idea, thanks.    I replaced the fuse on 3 of the mainboards that for certain had the blown fuse.  Unfortunately neither of the mainboards worked with the tech's initial chromebook he tried them in.  I asked him to try with another bad chromebook, or at least another display ribbon cable/display to make sure there wasn't a secondary issue with his chromebook under repair/test.

HP Recommended

Since I work at a school I have a lot of Chromebook's to work with. I keep a good screen to make sure it's not the screen. Some of the screens go bad themselves. Each screen has its own logic board where you connect the LCD cable. I have had some that its just the screen which needs to be replaced. It can also be the cable that goes attached to the screen and webcam. 

If you have tried all of the other options and still no backlight try soldering a small wire where the fuse belongs and see if it works. The wire acts as a bridge letting the current pass. If the fuse is blown it won't let any current through resulting in no backlight. Thats what's good about the using the wire, it  lets you see if its the fuse before removing the fuse from any other device.

When soldering a new fuse on the board you have to try to do it as quick as possible. If you leave the iron on the fuse and it gets too hot it can blow before you even replace it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.