Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am having some issues regarding my laptop's brightness.

Firstly, when I turn my laptop on, the brightness is always on pitch black so I can't see the screen. I have been on to all the settings and put the brightness as max for both when it is plugged into power, and not. And yet each time I switch it on, the brightness isn't on and the screen is completely black.

Secondly, my brightness buttons are the wrong way round, so the button I should press to reduce the brightness actually increases it, and the button I should press to increase the brightness actually decreases it.

Again I have looked in the settings and can't find anything there to change them - I haven't downloaded or installed anything that should have changed them, I literally use the laptop for microsoft office and the internet. 

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try turning off fast start mode, this seems to help with problems like this. Hopefully the issue will be corrected in a future update, but until then you can try this:

Windows+X to open power options
Click Choose what the power buttons do
Change settings that are currently unavailable
Scroll down to Turn on fast startup (recommended)
Uncheck the option to turn it off
Save your changes, then restart the computer to see if that helped.

Steps with screenshots: http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Say "thanks" by clicking the Kudos thumbs up!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can go ahead and update the latest BIOS version for the unit

I am an HP Employee supporting Desktop and Notebook computers.
HP Recommended

Try turning off fast start mode, this seems to help with problems like this. Hopefully the issue will be corrected in a future update, but until then you can try this:

Windows+X to open power options
Click Choose what the power buttons do
Change settings that are currently unavailable
Scroll down to Turn on fast startup (recommended)
Uncheck the option to turn it off
Save your changes, then restart the computer to see if that helped.

Steps with screenshots: http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Say "thanks" by clicking the Kudos thumbs up!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
After countless other troubleshooting, this works!... Thank you!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.