Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 15-bl075nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I disagree when you say its not a problem. I have been experiencing the same problem albeit with a different laptop i.e HP Spectre x360 15-bl075nr.

Latop Model and Specs:

Model: Hp Spectre X360 15-bl075nr

BIOS: F20

Specs: 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 4K UHD Display

Resolution:  1600 x 900

Refresh Rate: 60 Hz

ALl Laptops that I have:

I have the following laptops:

1. HP Probook 4530s

2. HP Spectre x360 15-bl075nr

3. L-e-n-o-v-o Yoga-13

Note: None of the other laptops show this kind of interference..!

which leads me to think that its a unit-specific problem and not a phone/mobile devices problem!

I experience the mobile signal interference only on Hp Spectre X360 and not on any other laptop!

Conditions of Interference

I experience interference on laptop screen (white noise, black lines, colored lines, black screen etc) when :

1. A cellphone is close by sending or receiving SMS or

2. a phone call is coming or

3. when a phone call is being made or

4. when a USSD code dialed

5. When the phone switches from 3G to 2G network and vice versa.

Phones/Devices causing the problem

The problem can be replicated with various phones and tablets

1. LG G3

2. Samsung Galaxy S2

3. iphone 7 plus

4. iphone 5

5. Cube T9 tablet

6. 4G USB Hotspot Wingle devce with a SIM card that can switch between 2G/3G/4G

Consistency:

Please note that the behavior is consistently observed with all of these devices separately and not when all of these were in close vicinity of the laptop at the same time.

Behavior(s):

1. The interference causes white noise to appear initially and it does not go away if we move the above mentioned phones/devices away from the laptop. I have to close the laptop lid and reopen it again for the issue to go away.

2. The interference persists and does not go away even after closing the lid and reopenning it again if the mobile device is kept close to the laptop for a longer period of time say 5-10 minutes of constant interference. The screen ultimately goes black with strange colored lines. In which case I have to power down the laptop using the power button and restart the device without the mobile phone in close vicinity.

Cause of embarrassment:

This is a severe cause for embarrassment for me when someone visits me and his/her mobile is placed closed to my laptop or if we are sitting together with mobile in his/her pocket and being in close vicinity to the laptop. This is embarrassing because I have spent a fortune on this laptop and it costed me 1900USD after shipment and taxes in my region i.e Pakistan and when someone finds out that I spent this much money on the machine and when they observe this behavior, they easily declare this as a piece of junk.

I have become a laughing stock because of this issue among my tech friends (mostly developers and people working in the area of technology, development and quality assurance) who are an avid advocates of other brands and products which are mostly hp competitors. 

And its not just the ridicule, I am also personally affected by this when I have to close the laptop lid several times a day to solve this issue. I cannot place my phone close to my laptop and have to leave desk several times a day to pick up my cellphone during work hours. This is hectic, painful and unnecessary 😞

Other Issues which have been fixed via Updates:

There were other issues like intermitten hangs  which have been sorted out via the various BIOS updates (not that the updates mention any thing about that, I have just experienced that after BIOS updates and driver updates, the intermittent hangs have reduced)

Laptop is under warranty!

What I am looking for?

I am looking for a software-based solution and would rather not take the laptop to HP local warranty in Pakistan. I am a software developer and I have lots of data and software configured with lots of projects on my system. Moreover, I cannot afford to not have a work machine and send this one on a warranty/repair and wait for weeks or months.  The cost of that (wait time) will far supersede the amount of money I will lose in my business or work. This is a work machine and my bread and butter.

The other machines I have have hardware limitations due to which I upgraded to the 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, Core i7 based 4K UHD laptop. So the question of reverting back to these latops for my projects is a very bad idea as the projects and the tools I use can not work on these laptops (they are too slow for that).

Latest Drivers and Updates are installed!

Using the HP Support assistant, I keep checking for and installing latest software updates. I am certain that I have latest software updates and latest BIOS (F20 at this time) installed.

Please help as I am really troubled. Please give me an advice that will not hamper my work. I am really on a thin thread here. Appreciate your help.

Awais

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @timematcher, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand your laptop boots to a black screen when the cell phone is ringing or kept next to your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

As you mentioned the laptop screen goes black when the cell phone is kept next to your laptop and when the phone is ringing.

The magnetic sensor in your phone is triggering the magnetic sleep switch in the lower case of your HP laptop. This has been reported with a number of different phones and other small electronic devices as well as with open MBPs that have been set on top of another HP notebook and suddenly gone to sleep because of the sleep magnet in the machine underneath. 

The HP Spectre x360 have a magnetic catch for when you close the laptop lid.

They use the magnetic sensor to work out when the lid is closed so the screen no longer needs to be on.

Your phone is triggering the sensor.

However, you can set the display to never sleep under power options and check if the screen is going black.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.