Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The brightness control keys (f2 & f3) on my pavillion dm4 stopped working all of a sudden. I'm operating windows 7 64bit. I've tried reverting to previous system restore points. I've also installed the BIOS, Intel chipset, and graphics drivers. All the other function keys are working properly, just can't change the brightness. Right now it's stuck on the brightest setting.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to solve this issue, I'm getting terrible eye strain from the screen.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rico i found out how to fix it.. trial and error... go to device manager and click on your graphics driver.. and uninstall it... reboot computer... if you have win 7 it should install the updated grappics driver automaticly.. if not go back to device manager.. and go to the new device which isnt installed.. update it.. and restart computer.. then brightness controls will work.. sorry if i rushed through instructions..  reply back if you need more specific onees

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Hi,

Could you post back with the full Model No. or Part No. of your notebook.

In the meantime, open windows Control Panel and open Windows Mobility Centre.  You should find an option here to adjust the brightness.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DavidPK,

The full model is: Pavilion dm4 1165dx.

I went into Windows Mobility Center, there was no option for brightness control. The only options were: Volume, Battery Satus, Wireless Network, External Display, Sync Center, HP Wireless Assistant, Hard Drive Protection.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Download and install the latest version of Quick Launch on the link below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51501-52000/sp51650.exe

After the installation has completed, restart the notebook and see if this has resolved the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DP-K,

Did the quick launch install, still hasn't fixed the problem.

Rico

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my hp pavilion dv6t. The f2 and f3 buttoms (brightness control) do not work anymore, have tried updating/reinstalling drivers.. updating bios... updating quicklaunch... hp said factory reset is last option... -_-

HP Recommended

Hi,

Download this version of QLB and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50681.exe

Next, download and install Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and use it to uninstall Quick Launch Buttons.  Right click on the icon of the program you wish to remove and select Uninstall.  During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete.  Do the same for any left over files and folders.  Once the uninstall has completed, reboot the PC.

If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip, then right click on the QLB installer on your Desktop, select 7-Zip, select Extract Files and click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder, right click on Setup ( 14Kb ) and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When complete, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K,

That didn't work either. I'm feeling hopeless. Looks like a format is in sight...

Thanks for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

From windows Control Panel, open Power Options, click on Change Plan Settings next to your selected power plan.  Do you see the option to Adjust Plan Brightness?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@Rico i found out how to fix it.. trial and error... go to device manager and click on your graphics driver.. and uninstall it... reboot computer... if you have win 7 it should install the updated grappics driver automaticly.. if not go back to device manager.. and go to the new device which isnt installed.. update it.. and restart computer.. then brightness controls will work.. sorry if i rushed through instructions..  reply back if you need more specific onees

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.