Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dm1-4125sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This question has been asked and standard troubleshooting has not worked.  I have used System Restore to successfully rewind the computer to the 8th October where the the brightness adjustment keys (on the F2 and F3 keys) did work, then allowing Windows 10 re-install updates that were removed.

OS Version:                10.0.19041 N/A Build 19041
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation

System Manufacturer:       Hewlett-Packard
System Model:              HP Pavilion dm1 Notebook PC
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1320 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Hewlett-Packard F.17, 29/10/2012

What I did do was update the BIOS from F.11 to F.17 as the Bluetooth hardware kept on mysteriously vanishing on power-up as if it did not exist in the computer, which the BIOS update appears to have fixed, but now I have the brightness control keys on the keyboard stop working on a known configuration of Windows 10, where it once did work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@MyronSz

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I wrote in the original ask-for-help message; "standard troubleshooting has not worked".  That did not work when I tried it. Everything that needs to be up-to-date is up to date.  I also tried the Windows 8, 64-bit AMD Catalyst driver package on HP's support site. Didn't work. The updated AMD graphics driver available from Windows Update also does not solve the problem.

Thing is, the keyboard brightness adjustment keys did work with AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics v15.201.1151.0.

Seems it's gone wrong since around the time the BIOS got updated.

I have also noticed that the HP Support Assistant is not thorough. It's missed things. I have tried re-installing and updating the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

Since the issue started after a BIOS update, let's try a BIOS Recovery and check if that helps

Please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS in the hope of fixing another issue where the Bluetooth functionality kept disappearing. Windows 10 did not even recognise that there was a Bluetooth facility in the laptop. It does now appear that the F.11 BIOS was the problem and upgrading the BIOS to F.1 has indeed fixed this issue.  I am guessing that the BIOS update has interfered with the ability to change brightness with the keyboard function keys.

If I perform a BIOS recovery, Bluetooth functionality will break. The BIOS update was the only action that got Windows to even recognise that the Bluetooth hardware existed within the laptop.

Need to find a solution that does not involve messing with the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Try a Reset and check if that helps

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I shall life that a go later. I have tried considered this, but am avoiding it. Why?  So many times in the past with me dealing with I.T. issues, a reset will cure the issue and well over 50% of the times when the computer catches-up with updates, the same problem(s) reappear and then it's wasted time.

Seeing that my primary computer is back from repair, it is now something I could try as the HP dm1 was used as an RDP terminal to another computer. I didn't want the HP dm1 to break more than it is.

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping us posted

Drop us a message anytime you need help 

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

While I wait for my main laptop to be repaired, again, so I'm not resetting Windows 10 on the dm1 just yet, what could I do to find out exactly why the brightness adjustment key presses are being ignored.

As in how to trace what is happening when the key is pressed.  The system will record the key scancodes and send them to BIOS and/or Windows 10, so what is it that's preventing the software recognising the key presses?  It's not the display driver as I installed the AMD v8 graphics drivers from HP's web-site, it didn't work, and then used Device Manager up install the AMD v15 graphics drivers from Windows Update.

I would like to find out why it's not working as opposed to just performing a Windows 10 reset and having the chance that the same issue will re-appear.

HP Recommended

I will go check with our team on what's causing the issue and get back to you once I have an update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.