Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dv6000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While watching a movie my screen went black for 30 seconds or so and the keybpard was unesponsive, eventually after pressing lots of keys it came back, but the screen is now dimmed.

The F2 ad F3 keys no longer work to change brightness and my laptop is frozen dim.   I have tried to change it in the control panel/power and sleep/additional power settings but the slider to chnge brightness does not change anything and the apply/cancel buttons are grayed out.     If I edit power settings/advanced power settings, the display is set to 70% on battery and 100% on Plugged in.   If I change this it does not "stick" and the next time I open it it is still set to 70/100.

I did look at adaptive display settngs and changed these from off to on and back to off, but they had no effect.

I am lost about whete to go next.   Any siggestions elcome.

John North

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @johncnorth,

Thank you for your query.

I understand that you did not have any issues with the screen brightness until you  were watching a movie and suddenly your screen went black for approximately 30 seconds and the keyboard was unresponsive.  After pressing many keys your notebook started to respond again but the brightness has gone dim and you are unable to change it. 

You have altering the power plan but the setting do not remain.

Due to the fact that your display went black and your computer became unresponsive I would test for hardware failures just to rule that possibility out.   HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Some people have found this step helpful.

Right click on the Windows key (lower left corner) and choose Device Manager

Click on Monitors to expand the list.

Right click on generic PnP Monitor and if it is not enabled please enable it.

Close Device Manager and try adjusting your brightness.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant ?

As it was working previously you could try doing a restore back to before this happened. HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

If the issue should still remain I would try a refresh your PC. This will reinstall the operating system but should not affect your personal files. Refresh is part of reset in Windows 10 (from Windows.microsoft.com)

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as you. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the   Thumbs Up   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I resolved this by reverting to the previous video driver.   It happened several more times as win 10 continued to try to install the new driver.   I have since installed a utility from Win 10 that temporarily prevents automatic updates of this driver.

John North

HP Recommended

Hi @johncnorth,

Thank you for the update.  I am glad you were able to resolve your issue..

Have great weekend!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi HP support team,

I have the same issue as johncnorth although  my problem is that I did not recognize when this problem started. There was no major problem with my laptop since I bought it last year. Right now, I cannot change the brightness of my laptop (HP Pavillion 14-v231TX) using the display/power settings menu nor F2 and F3 buttons on my keyboard. I can adjust the bar from the settings menu and F2/F3 buttons but nothing really is changing. 

I tried to find answer in support.hp.com but could not find one.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards,

Angel Dizon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.