Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv7-6053er
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

A little story: I was working on my computer, then there appeared glitchy horizontal lines on my screen, they ran around for about 3 seconds, then I got BSOD with Bad_Pool_Header error. Then Windows had trouble booting up, after the Windows startup logo the screen would just go to black when the accounts would usually appear and the whole system freezes. I booted up safe mode and deleted the Radeon card in device manager with its drivers (I have a laptop with switchable Intel graphics with Radeon 6770M card) and Windows was able to run again. But now I can't install the drivers (I tried 3 different versions, the default for my laptop model and newer ones from the HP site), somewhere in the installation process the screen just goes to black and freezes every time.

I can't run any memtest programs either cause the system only sees the card as "Unidentified VGA adapter" and it doesn't show up in those tools. Although when I try automatic driver installation it can tell the model, but it also tells me it was unable to install drivers because of an error.

So the question is, is there a way to fix the GC on a software level or is this a most likely a hardware problem and I should shove it in the oven? :')

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is the correct driver for the switchable graphics adapter setup your notebook comes with.

It installs the drivers for both the AMD and Intel GPU's.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55092.exe

The description of the issue you are having, points to the AMD graphics adapter having overheated during the lifetime of your notebook and is now damaged.

No fix other than to replace the motherboard, and I would not throw good money after bad.

Time to retire that old workhorse, and get something new.

HP Recommended

Hi again!

Yeah I am in the process of saving up for a new system (since I don't live in America or Europe and can't just buy a computer with my pocket change) but it's going to take me a while to get there so in the meantime I would really appreciate if someone threw all the crazy unlikely possible solutions at me :'')

That being said :'), I did delete the entire driver package with DDU and, despite my Intel card being fine and healthy, can't even install a driver for that one anymore (which is a big problem as I can't even draw anything anymore)... or the audio one... I get this error right at the beginning (and yes I downloaded the driver mentioned above yesterday)

2019-12-14_17-33-29.png

And this is the failure report it gave me

Spoiler

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Report.xml.xsl"?>
<monetreport xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes">
<general>
<cmdline>-UI </cmdline>
<time>12/14/19 17:35:16</time>
<action>install</action>
<download></download>
</general>
<dcm>
<primary>
<name>ATI Radeon Graphics Processor</name>
<manufacture>ATI Technologies Inc</manufacture>
<chiptype></chiptype>
<chipid>0x6740</chipid>
<vendorid>0x1002</vendorid>
<ssid>0x165a</ssid>
<ssvid>0x103c</ssvid>
<classcode>0x030000</classcode>
<revisionid>0x00</revisionid>
</primary>
</dcm>
<exist>
</exist>
<install>
<package>
<description>PX Profile Update</description>
<result>Succeed</result>
<version>1.00.1</version>
<size>1 </size>
</package>
<package>
<description>AMD Catalyst Install Manager</description>
<result>Succeed</result>
<version>3.0.838.0</version>
<size>20 </size>
</package>
<package>
<description>AMD APP SDK Runtime</description>
<result>Succeed</result>
<version>2.5.709.2</version>
<size>90 </size>
</package>
<package>
<description>AMD Display Driver</description>
<result>Fail</result>
<version>8.882.2.3000</version>
<size>90 </size>
</package>
<package>
<description>Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable</description>
<result>Fail</result>
<version>10.0.30319</version>
<size>9 </size>
</package>
<package>
<description>Intel Media Components</description>
<result>Succeed</result>
<version>8.15.10.2476</version>
<size>60 </size>
</package>
<package>
<description>Catalyst Control Center</description>
<result>Succeed</result>
<version>2011.0930.2209.37895</version>
<size>150 </size>
</package>
</install>
<uninstall>
</uninstall>
<downloaded>
</downloaded>
<resource>
<hwinfo>Hardware information</hwinfo>
<existpkg>Existing packages</existpkg>
<pkg2inst>Packages for install</pkg2inst>
<pkg2uninst>Packages for uninstall</pkg2uninst>
<otherdev>Other detected devices</otherdev>
<errmsg>Error messages</errmsg>
<name>Name</name>
<manufacture>Manufacturer</manufacture>
<chiptype>Chip type</chiptype>
<chipid>Device ID</chipid>
<otherhw>Other hardware</otherhw>
<download>Download packages</download>
<succeed>Success</succeed>
<fail>Fail</fail>
<vendorid>Vendor ID</vendorid>
<classcode>Class Code</classcode>
<revisionid>Revision ID</revisionid>
<ssid>Subsystem ID</ssid>
<ssvid>Subsystem vendor ID</ssvid>
<header1>Catalyst™ Install Manager</header1>
<header2>Installation Report</header2>
<finalstatus>Final Status:</finalstatus>
<versionofitem>Version of Item:</versionofitem>
<size>Size:</size>
<bytes>Mbytes</bytes>
</resource>
<error><msg>Application Install: install package failure!</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: the installation failed</msg></error></monetreport>

I did reinstall the drivers many times before it worked well without any errors. I also never had any visual glitches before, it just died really suddenly :0 I was just watching utube video, like it wasn't overheating or anything it just... happened 😞

HP Recommended

So apparently I had messed up access restriction on a driver folder but now that I fixed it and installed the Intel driver nothing stops the Windows from automatically installing the AMD driver. DESPITE me setting it up to never do that. How can I actually prevent Windows from installing it? Or how can I delete the AMD card permenantly so it doesn't see it? Even if I choose the economy power plan it still tries to use AMD card the second I log into the account...

Please help me figure something out, I need that computer for work even if it's in a limited state 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.