Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My puppy jumped on me 2x, causing my Hp Energy Star, model 15-r132-m,serial [Personal Information Removed],Os10, to fall to the floor. My screen is coming apart now, at the bottom. I am only able to view 2/3 of it. Yesterday, it did an upgrade Smiley Sad, bit I can't see the side where I'm supposed to set it up. I don't have access to another screen, except my iPhone, or TV. Help! Thx.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Parough1

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that your pet caused your HP 15-r132wm Notebook to fall and damage. I read that the screen is coming apart and the keyboard and optical drive do not work anymore. I read that you would like to check if there is a possibility to get you data from this laptop. I'll do my best to help you here. 

I did some research and found that this laptop has an HDMI port. So if your TV is HDMI compatible then probably you may try connecting the TV to the laptop. Please refer to this HP document for connecting external displays to your HP laptop. Also, you might want to use an external USB keyboard (if available) as the onboard keyboard does not work. 

If the above options are unavailable then I'm afraid you will have to check with a local technician to backup your data. 

Meanwhile, you may check with HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. 

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
Oh, my keyboard doesn't work or my CD. I'm planning on getting a new one, just saving money, but need my stuff off the damaged one. Thx.
HP Recommended

@Parough1

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that your pet caused your HP 15-r132wm Notebook to fall and damage. I read that the screen is coming apart and the keyboard and optical drive do not work anymore. I read that you would like to check if there is a possibility to get you data from this laptop. I'll do my best to help you here. 

I did some research and found that this laptop has an HDMI port. So if your TV is HDMI compatible then probably you may try connecting the TV to the laptop. Please refer to this HP document for connecting external displays to your HP laptop. Also, you might want to use an external USB keyboard (if available) as the onboard keyboard does not work. 

If the above options are unavailable then I'm afraid you will have to check with a local technician to backup your data. 

Meanwhile, you may check with HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. 

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended
Yes, I plan on trying this solution, however I was not aware that there are different sizes of HDMI plugs. The one for my TV is larger than the one on my laptop. I am hoping to find correct cables to solve this. Thanks.
HP Recommended
I feel like somewhat of an idiot, I do have HDMI plug on my computer, I'm trying to figure out how to project it to my TV but every time I click on something to try to understand it it's at the top where I can't see it so I'm trying to get it figured out. Thank you so much for your help.
HP Recommended

@Parough1

You're welcome. 🙂 Not a problem, you're doing great.  

I will have the steps posted to you. Since you're using Win10, you can try the below steps to use additional display with your laptop:

In the Windows search box, search for and open Display settings. The ADVANCED DISPLAY SETTINGS window opens.

Figure : ADVANCED DISPLAY SETTINGS

ADVANCED DISPLAY SETTINGS

• Click the drop-down menu under Multiple displays, select one of the configurations, and then click Apply.

Configuration options in the Multiple  displays menu

Duplicate these displays, sometimes known as mirroring the displays, shows the same screen on all displays. This configuration is most commonly used for presentations. This allows the presenter to work from a smaller monitor while the audience views the presenter’s work from a larger TV, monitor, or projector.

Figure : Duplicate displays mode

Duplicate displays mode

The computer is now ready to display the same screen on all output devices, from monitors to projectors. Press the fn and f4 function keys at the same time to switch the image from the notebook display, to the external monitor, or to both.

Extend these displays mode shows the Desktop extended across all displays. This configuration is most commonly used to get more workspace. You can take advantage of the extra workspace to view different applications on different displays.

Figure : Extend these displays mode

Extended displays mode

To help identify your monitors, click Identify below monitors. The numbers 1 or 2 are shown on the monitor icons to help you identify them.

Show the screen on only one display is similar to the extended display, except that the screen is shown on only one display. The extra display will be blank, but still functions as an extension of your computer. You can use this function to hide the screen during a presentation, but still see the desktop on your personal monitor.

Figure : One display mode

Only one display mode

Switch between displays using notebook function keys: When multiple displays are in use, press the fn and f4 function keys at the same time to switch the image from the notebook display, to the external monitor, or to both. This key combination might be different on your computer.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted for any further questions. Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended
Oh ya, I don't know why I forgot about that. I had gone to my graphics, to try and make my screen smaller, but it never gave me the settings I either needed, or maybe just didn't know the correct ones. I will power on the beast and try that, thanks.
HP Recommended

Hi @Parough1,

As @MKazi, is out of office for the day, I am replying on his behalf. Please try the steps and that should do the trick for you. Kudos to you for a job superbly done. 🙂 Please keep us posted. We are always there to assist you.

Thanks and do have a fabulous weekend. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I will and you have a great weekend also. Haven't had time today to even turn my computer on, but will keep you updated.
HP Recommended
So I tried to set the graphics and apparently my driver has a problem. I also tried mirroring and my PC doesn't support it. Geezer!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.