Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14A G5
Chrome OS

This HP Chromebook 14A G5 arrived without a working display.

HP website says warranty is valid until 25/01/2022 but when I click on the link to request a support ticket, I'm informed "This product is no longer serviced by HP. You may search for possible solutions on this support website."

Please can someone tell me how to request a warranty repair?

(In case it helps, this Chromebook came via the  UK Government's 'laptop for schools scheme' but the Department of Education's Computacentre is instructing schools to report faults directly to the manufacturer.)

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The DofE provided me with a number for schools to contact HP support; 02076600403

I called them, quoted serial number and where we got the device from. The Chromebook was repaired quickly without any problems - hope this helps any other UK school in a similar situation (assuming some over zealous forum Admin doesn't delete).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Phil256 

Your Government is misleading you -- since they clearly are unwilling to take responsibility for faulty devices that they provide to folks (surprise! surprise!).

HP did not provide this to you, so HP is not going to troubleshoot or service it.  Lots of kids here in the States have been issued much the same devices by our school systems, and when THEY have problems, they return those to the schools for replacements.

You will have to do the same -- and while you are there, consider giving them grief for abandoning you when you need their support.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply (though it doesn't actually help me contact HP). Please can I correct a few of your assumptions;

1. I am 'the school' not a parent. I'm the Network Manager at a large secondary school and we would never ask a parent to fix a device we'd given to their child.

2. In my experience, one of the few things our government has got right was the supply of laptops to schools. We've received over a hundred devices from our Department of Education via their 'Computacentre' and only two have had faults. One was replaced by Computacentre but now that the initial rollout has finished they're asking schools to report warranty faults directly to the manufacturer.

I don't know who the DoE bought the laptop through but I suspect  it was through a third party and not directly from HP, so what's happening is that HP have recorded this device as 'contact reseller' like they do for Dixons/PC World etc. so the chat bot won't log a warranty call.

If anyone can provide contact email or telephone number for HP support in the UK that would be great ...

HP Recommended

@Phil256 

Seriously, this is not going to get what you want -- HP repairing the device. 

HP only does warranty service for the ORIGINAL purchaser of the device, regardless of what your DoE is telling you.  If they bought it and issued it to you, the HP warranty support is with THEM, not with YOU -- which is why you would need to return it to THEM.

We see the same issues here in the States, with folks issued Chromebooks by their schools, and we have to tell them the same thing.

Regardless, here is the UK contact info -- this is all we are allowed to provide:  

UK HP contact info: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the clearer reply - those capitals really helped me understand. Sorry if you thought my original reply sounded 'snide' or something  but I just wanted advice on contacting HP without the political commentary. 😀

BTW, I wasn't expecting anyone in a forum to be able to organise a repair (though I have seen HP employees ocassionally jump on to a thread in the past) - I was just after some help getting past the chatbot.

I've gone back to the DoE and if I get a reply I'll update this ticket for any other schools in the same situation.

HP Recommended

The DofE provided me with a number for schools to contact HP support; 02076600403

I called them, quoted serial number and where we got the device from. The Chromebook was repaired quickly without any problems - hope this helps any other UK school in a similar situation (assuming some over zealous forum Admin doesn't delete).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.