Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

USB is working for me. You do see a bit of lag when dragging windows though. What I wanted to do is use both Display Ports (in the laptop and in the dock)  and use the DVI for the 3rd screen.

HP Recommended

Ok, after months of trying, I finally got 3 screens working using the DP in the laptop and the DP and DVI in the docking station.

Finally found some active DP adaptor which worked like a charm. The active DP adapter is plugged in the laptops DP port. The non active DP adaptor is in the docking station.

Thanks all to those who gave suggestions! 🙂

HP Recommended
[Quote]Ok, after months of trying, I finally got 3 screens working using the DP in the laptop and the DP and DVI in the docking station.

Finally found some active DP adaptor which worked like a charm. The active DP adapter is plugged in the laptops DP port. The non active DP adaptor is in the docking station.

Thanks all to those who gave suggestions! Smiley Happy[/Quote]

OK I know this an old post but I couldn't resist. Am I to understand that you kept using the docking station DP when they clearly told you several times to use the LT's DP port? That's like a few months of it sinking in there isn't bud? And you're a tutor? Wow ...lol!
HP Recommended

has anyone tried using the active DP adapter on the laptop, the DVI on the dock for second monitor and VGA on dock for the third monitor?

HP Recommended

I was able to get mine working as well -

On the dock- 1 VGA and 1 DP input

On the laptop - 1 DP input

all 3 monitors work fine.

HP Recommended

Similar issue, but using a 9480m corporate issued asset with HP2013 Ultraslim dock (2x DP outs, 1x VGA).  Had to get a replacement laptop because the previous unit (same model) had an HDD failure.  I had all three external monitors working beautifully (total of 4 active screes).  Tried the same setup with the new asset, now I can't get all three externals to work.  I tried all work arounds mentioned throughout this thread (all drivers are up to date)  including the active DP to HDMI off the laptop... no joy.  At the moment I have Monitor 1 set as the default using the built-in, 2 running off my dock's DP to DVI (via active dp adapter), 3 running off DP to hdmi, and 4 (non-funcitonal) running off VGA via USB adapter.  The odd part is Monitor 4 is showing that it is getting a signal, yet no image on the screen... scrolling over to that monitor the mouse pointer shows, but nothing else... even when I drag an open window over from Monitor 3 (the window vanishes but the mouse pointer remains) What could be the reason for that?

HP Recommended

SOLVED

I've spent a stupid amount of time on this problem and I finally found the solution: 

1. At least one of the outputs needs to be using the DisplayPort.

2. If you do not have a DisplayPort input on your screen, you MUST use an ACTIVE DisplayPort Adapter. 

3. So if you want DVI, you have to use an Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Stupid but works.

Also note, you probably can't use the DisplayPort and DVI port on the Basic Dock at the same time - they apparently share the same channel. But you can use the DisplayPort and VGA port at the same time. Same theory for the Advanced Dock.

Just to add details:

- I now have a Basic Dock (optional) with Active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for 1 screen, and VGA for the other screen.

- When I had a Passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, this setup failed in every possible configuration.

- So apparently its a maximum of 3 displays with the Basic Dock (and presumably with no dock).

- And a maximum of 4 displays with the Advanced Dock.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.