Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 15.6"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the Envy 15.6  at SGD1,599 in July 2016. The machine started to shut down on its on the 28th Sep. I thought it is some microsoft updating. Have to switch the system on a few times in a day. On the 30th of Sep, the screen cracked spider web style. The laptop was not moved at all from the previous day. Called HP Singapore for help and they said the screen is not covered under warranty. I continue to use it with the cracked screen by projecting it to an external  monitor as i need to finish my work and could not afford any downtime. Sent the machine for diagnosis on the 13Oct and they quoted SGD$321 for repair. I felt in duress because i needed the machine. There is no stress test done on screen panel or whatsoever test and i really felt taken advantage of by their customer-induced claims. In a way, HP or their servicing centre made me feel that I lied. And reading the forums here on cracked screen, HP stands firmly it is never their fault. This is abysmal attitude towards genuine customers. And my laptop is less than 3 months under warranty. Helpless in Singapore. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The screen can be fixed for less than that...perhaps half if you are willing to install it yourself. HP does staunchly maintain that the screen does not crack without some external force being applied...indeed all laptop makers take this position or a laptop would cost half again as much because of the added warranty expense. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The screen can be fixed for less than that...perhaps half if you are willing to install it yourself. HP does staunchly maintain that the screen does not crack without some external force being applied...indeed all laptop makers take this position or a laptop would cost half again as much because of the added warranty expense. 

HP Recommended

HI, thanks for the reply. My case is referred to sevice centre from India. So they called me from India to Singapore hoping to resolve the issue. After a lot of calls and negotitation, we agree at 50% discount. which is about SGD$175, or about $120 USD. I thought my envy 13 wireless issue was an exception but it is 2 out of 2. I had moved from lenovo due to their battery issues but seems that i have to choose the one with less problem and better service. 

HP Recommended

After getting the machine for slightly more than a month, the machine has started hanging again. It was reported when i first sent it for repair. Now, it is coming back. This is pretty ridiculous. I visited Courts Singapore to buy the machine and even the salesperson said there are a lot of complains on Envy 15. And i see HP trying to clear the stock now by offering $400 less as christmas holiday discount. Is this right, HP?

HP Recommended

Hi @oasisaviour,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there -

I'm just wondering what your end result was with this issue.  I've owned my Envy x360 for not even 4 months, and my screen just randomly cracked on its own 2 nights ago. I contacted HP Support, and have been given the same run around.  I can ship my computer to them for a free analysis, but if they decide the damage is "accidental", then I have to pay $99 to get my computer back, or over $400 to have the screen replaced.

Clearly this issue has been ongoing for at least 5 years. If you do a search on "cracked screen" HP Support (where I found your message), there are 41 web pages filled with messages from other people that have experienced this same issue.

This is NOT OKAY, and HP needs to step up and accept responsibility for creating faulty products.

HP Recommended

Me too. Woke up opened my computer and saw something at the top ... here the screen has started to crack and has gotten worse all day. HP service person told me I damaged it... same runaround.. not covered by warranty. Have to send them the computer.. pay for it.... pay to have it returned. Same runaround. I've only had it for 6 months and I did nothing to damage my computer. This is horrible customer service and horrible warranty. How can I run my online business when I have to send them the computer and be told I damaged their defective screen and pay to have it fixed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.