Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
X360 Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Need to find out how to make the cursor move move faster in all programs (Word, email, this note), it just crawls when using arrows to go back or forward or deleting or backspacing; way too slow to be efficient.

Brand new laptop (16 GB, 512 SSD, Ryzen 7-4700u) and so far major disappointment. My 5 year old glued together Toshiba laptop is more enjoyable to use at the point. My biggest frustration is HOW SLOW THE CURSOR MOVES. (And the touchpad which is too big for the keyboard which the palms touch and it just caused me to "Post" before I wanted to and causes the mouse to move around the screen. Ugh.) And the keys are too loud and there's no light on the NUM LOCK (seriously?!).

But back to the cursor, IT CRAWLS when backspacing and the the arrow keys.

There's got to be a way to speed the cursor up. Any ideas? PLEASE! It took two weeks to get this laptop for online teaching and I may need to send this back as it's intolerably slow.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@FT-ICR Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Cursor moves too slow in programs.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

You can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  
1) Shutdown the computer.  
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  
3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.  
4) Go to Component test.  
5) Run extensive Memory and Hard Drive test.   

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.