Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 13-aq1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Just purchased a brand new HP Envy 13-aq1xxx   Tried two different "universal" digital pens. Neither one connects. Finally discovered through the Control Panel that perhaps this touchscreen does not support a pen. How would I have found that out before purchasing the laptop? That information in not readily available when researching machines. Seems like a basic function. Any ideas? Is there a driver I can install to make a digital pen work on this laptop? When I called HP and gave the serial number of the laptop, they suggested purchasing the HP Tilt Pen, but I cannot find in writing where that would work either so I am holding off on purchasing it.  Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@a134 

@a134 wrote:

Just purchased a brand new HP Envy 13-aq1xxx   Tried two different "universal" digital pens. Neither one connects. Finally discovered through the Control Panel that perhaps this touchscreen does not support a pen. How would I have found that out before purchasing the laptop? That information in not readily available when researching machines. Seems like a basic function. Any ideas? Is there a driver I can install to make a digital pen work on this laptop? When I called HP and gave the serial number of the laptop, they suggested purchasing the HP Tilt Pen, but I cannot find in writing where that would work either so I am holding off on purchasing it.  Any ideas?

The Store is correct - at least what I can find supports the information you were given.

Contacting the store, in fact, is a recommended solution to the question.

HP does not provide information for non-HP accessories.

I cannot use the "aq1xxx" model type as a meaningful reference.

HP ENVY 13-aq1000 Laptop PC series does show support for the HP Tilt Pen for several of its models.

When the Virtual Assistant is available (usually during the weekdays - not always on the weekends), you can use the Assistant to search for information.

Compatibility Checks

Method – Search Compatible Product(s) using the HP Virtual Agent - HPVA

Check the data for yourself using the HP Virtual Assistant

Consumer systems can open the agent at the product homepage.

Consumer Notebook Examples:  Notebook, Pavilion, Spectre, Envy, and others

• Open the Support Home for your Computer.
  • Click / Open the Virtual Agent (lower right corner of the homepage screen / web page).
  • Wait for the Virtual Agent to be ready to receive your question.
  • Ask your question – For example, ask:  “Which dock is compatible with my computer?”
  • Follow the prompts, answer the questions.
  • NOTE that in most cases, it is enough to search at the "series" level, or select a model similar to yours from the list within your model series.
  • Note that a compatible product result does not guarantee the HP Store carries that product in stock.

• Thanks for using the HP Virtual Assistant.

Example Questions: 

Which dock is compatible with my computer?

Is Thunderbolt dock compatible with my computer?

Which pen is compatible with my computer?

Notes:

• A compatible product result does not guarantee the HP Store carries that product.
  • If you “Finish” the Virtual Assistant chat session, the assistant uses the data to improve the behavior. 
  • The HP Virtual Assistant is not yet true “AI”, but finishing the inquiry does help the software get better over time.

and / or

Doesn't work? – Do not want it - Need an alternative method to check and search?

Method – Search for Stylus / Pen in your Service Guide

• Open the Support Home for your Computer
  • Open Category Manuals
  • Search for and open the Service Guide for your computer
  • Search the guide for “Pen”

Method – Search the HP Store

Another method

Open the Store

Store/HP.com 

Not your store?  Click Flag near bottom of website to change region.

Dock / Docking Station

Example

Search for "notebook pc docking" or "workstation dock"

Next, click (under Categories" to view) Displays and Accessories

Select your item

Click on Tech Specs

Compatibility is listed in the tech document.

NOTES

• Tech Specs in the Store do not include compatibility information for Pen - Contact the store directly and ask for help.
  • Once you have the Product Number / Part Number, check HP Parts Store or another merchant of your choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you purchase the Tilt Pen, you'll need a driver for your version of Windows 10.

Start a new thread on the subject and ask for the driver current at the time you need it.

Include the exact version of Windows 10 you are running.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 13-aq1000 Laptop PC series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you. Please clarify: aq1xxx noted on the model number is really aq1000? And in the Control Panel on my machine, there are touch settings but not pen settings. Isn't this an indication it is not pen compatible?  I hope I am wrong and that the HP Tilt Pen will work. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@a134 

Edits - Add advisory Notice (end of message)

You are welcome.

Every post we write is read by many and this is one method to pass along information.

Thanks for the questions.

What is the "xxx" in the name?

The xxx is a place holder the for model name within the series.

"xxx" is an oft times misunderstood shortcut that was implemented to indicate a series name without designating any of the identifying parts of the products within that series.

Series:  HP ENVY 13-aq1000 

There are over 360 individual models in the "aq" series, each product has its own name.

Example

Product Number                Product Name

133N4EA                             HP ENVY - 13-aq1000nb

I mentioned the naming convention so when you use the HP Virtual Agent to double check your results, you would know not to start with a product name containing xxx.

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Please do NOT post the serial number.

The HPVA catches (confirms) the compatibility for this series with the Tilt Pen.

Chances are (that) the your product name also supports the pen - checking the HPVA should provide you the confirmation.

What if?

What if your particular product name does not support the pen?

In most every case, the HPVA will catch that instance of non-compatibility.

Check the data for yourself using the HP Virtual Assistant

We also use the database on which the HPAV depends and other publicly available means of providing answers to this type of question.  I would be curious to know what you find.

What else to check?

When the customer gives us enough information to find the series name, we can check the service guides, we look for a Datasheet, and - for new products still available at the store - we can check at the online store.  Depending on the product, the question, and how much time we can devote to the search, we might plow through various search engines looking for more information.  We stop short of calling the store or any other agency - these actions are outside of our scope as volunteers.

HP Community

Our volunteer workforce is not tied directly to any HP internal service or support agency. 

We do not have access to internal HP databases.

What you can do

Double check your results at the HPVA - if you do get different results than what I provided, it will indeed be due to a rogue product within the series that does not support a pen.  It is certainly possible.

If you have already completed the check and the results are contrary to what you expect, decide how to proceed.

For example, your computer is brand new:

• Contact HP Support and ask.
  • Call the Store again - you will likely talk to a different sales representative - ask the question again.

Yeah, but

Well, I can change my answer - for the moment, I do not have any reason to do so.

If you want to provide me the exact product name of your machine, I can complete the HPVA check for you.

I understand your hesitancy - you are not seeing the results you expect and you are not trusting of the answers that do not match what you see on the computer.

New Content

HP Advisory Bulletin - Tilt Pen

HP Tilt Pen - The Tilt Feature No Longer Supported in Windows Ink Workspace 

Tilt Pen Homepage

HP Tilt Pen 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You have been very helpful. Just wanted to update on my progress. The HPVA was not easy. It would not accept HP Envy 13-aq1xxx as the Product Name even though this is what is indicated in the system information on the laptop. It also would not accept the 11 digit Product Number 7XN . . . .    I took a chance and went back to the HP.com/support page to input the Product Number and FINALLY discovered that the laptop is a HP Envy 13-aq1076nr.  I then went BACK into the HPVA to learn that yes, this laptop is compatible with the HP Tilt Pen . . . which are currently out of stock in the HP store. Around and around in circles. I sure hope HP improves this basic system of allowing the HPVA to use a number already in the System Information to help customers more easily. Better yet, simply include a piece of paper in the box that indicates which pen to get! (And no, not the multi page comparability list in "microfont." Just tell me what I need for my machine.) This was a long and tedious rabbit hole for those of us non-tech types, and it led to a widely used yet out of stock product. I can only hope that when it does arrive, it works! Thanks again for your advice. 

HP Recommended

@a134 

You are welcome.

I am sorry for the rabbit hole - honestly, when it's up and running properly (not always the case) the HPVA is supposed to be fairly painless. 

The HPVA is perhaps completely unaware of in-stock / out-of-stock.  I had not thought that an issue, though I can see why it might be an added frustration.

I will pass along your observations.  The team does want to hear back and your comments are valuable.

I will forward your comments about the font, too.  I agree the interface is more appropriate for a tiny mobile device where everyone already expects fonts and everything else to be mini-sized.  I tend to think of these issues as "mine" - I simply don't have the eyesight I once enjoyed and I have come to expect annoyances at tiny print.

Remember you will need a driver for Tilt Pen that matches your version of Windows 10. 

Start  (Windows button) > Settings  > System  > About 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The HPVA assistant indicated that the Tilt Pen would be compatible with my HP Envy 13-aq1076nr.

It was out of stock on HP so I ordered it on Amazon.

Arrived, connected to Bluetooth, but no luck getting it to connect to the screen. I learned that I have Windows Version 1909. The tech help desk at my university tried several times to connect the pen.

In settings, I see only have the option to adjust the mouse or touchpad, not a pen.  Is that because the driver has not been installed? HPVA is not helpful in showing how to install a driver.

This should not be so difficult, right? SO frustrating. Brand new pricey touchscreen machine. No stylus. Makes no sense to me. 

Now it's too late and costly to return the laptop. HP has an unhappy customer.

HP Recommended

@a134 

HP Tilt Pen Driver

sp100274.exe

Information / Description files:

sp100274.cva

sp100274.html

Version=1.0.0.8

[Devices]
ACPI\VEN_ELAN&DEV_2514="ELAN EzTouchFilter"
ACPI\ELAN2514="ELAN EzTouchFilter"
ACPI\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0732="ELAN EzTouchFilter"
ACPI\ELAN0732="ELAN EzTouchFilter"

[Operating Systems]
WT64_1809=OEM
WT64_1903=OEM
WT64_1909=OEM

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will see if my daughter is able to install this driver. From what I read when I search for how to do this, she will start by going to the Device Manager and try to find the pen, correct? My guess is that it will not show up as a device. 

Option 2:  I go to HP.com and choose her laptop that I have registered there. However, this specific driver you sent me does not appear as an option to download. I have checked them all. None match the number sp100274.exe you provided.

I must be missing something. Can you please provide me with specific instructions on how to manually download this onto her laptop? I really appreciate your help on this. 

HP Recommended

@a134 

Edits - Corrected the download package

You are welcome.

Installation is relatively straight forward.

Open your favorite browser

Open this message

sp100274.exe

Tap on the driver file to download it to your computer.

Select "Save" and wait for the file to download.

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.