Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0003ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

I purchased my Pavilion 15-ec0003ca gaming laptop during the holidays.  Everything works out of the box, but I'm struggling to disable the integrated graphics to use the dedicated graphics card as default.  I'm using my laptop at home and power consumption is not my concern at all.  However, on the other hand, I want to completely disable the onboard graphics and save up some memory since it takes up 2 to 3GB and the system only comes with 8GB.

I've tried disabling the onboard AMD RX Vega 10 from Control Panel.  But the system doesn't switch to the dedicated nVidia GTX1060.  Instead, Display 1 is connected to Microsoft Basic Display Driver, not nVidia.  Then when I tried to bring up nVidia Control Panel, it always crashes with the error message "NVIDIA Display settings are not available.  You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA CPU."

Has anyone tried something similar?  What am I missing?  Any clue will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.  And have a nice day!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Shinkou
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

To get the answer to this question, this is not possible as the Integrated Graphics card on your computer is system managed.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If that was the case, is there any way to set and use the dedicated nVidia GTX1060 as the default graphics card?  I'm asking this because it seems it has problems switching to the dedicated graphics card for games in Steam.  For instance, when I tried launching DOOM, a 4 year old title, it has a disappointing frame rate of 10 fps.  In case you wondered, I've already configured it to use the dedicated graphics card for it as classic app.  And I've used nVidia experience to optimize the game.  Meanwhile, for games that I downloaded from Microsoft store, they all run butter smooth.

HP Recommended

@Shinkou,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. 
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and ok.

If the issue persists,  follow the below steps.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.