Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13 Ultrabook
Linux

Hi, my touchscreen is currently broken (always detects touches top-right corner) so I need to disabled it.

I managed to do it on my desktop with help on this forum, but it is disabled only when I'm log in, not before.

Because of that, I can't navigate in the lock screens or the OS selection (dual-boot Windows10/Manjaro-kde) correctly.

I had looked on Bios, but didn't see anything to disable the touchscreen here.

So, is there a technique to disable the touchscreen machine-wide?

Do I need to deconnect the component from the board manually? Advice to do it without killing my machine?

PS : I can't get rid of linux (work related) but I could change distro if it can help. I think it annoy me enough to sacrifice Windows if it can solve the problem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution :

Main source :   https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/127443/how-do-i-disable-the-touch-screen-on-my-laptop?rq=1

So, the touchscreen was disabled when Windows was booting but not for linux.

First disabling it temporarily (current session) :  I used xinput, in command line : "xinput list" to find the device id for the touchscreen, then "xinput disable <id>". Now I can work without the touchscreen doing random things.

Then, I added a rule for ignoring the touchscreen at boot : create a file in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/" named for example "99-no-touchscreen.conf". And then add this into the file :

"

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier     "Touchscreen catchall"
    MatchIsTouchscreen "on"

Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

"

I also blacklisted the corresponding module kernel (lsmod ; /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-hid-multitouch.conf < blacklist hid_multitouch"). To be sure.

It work without any problems now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Solution :

Main source :   https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/127443/how-do-i-disable-the-touch-screen-on-my-laptop?rq=1

So, the touchscreen was disabled when Windows was booting but not for linux.

First disabling it temporarily (current session) :  I used xinput, in command line : "xinput list" to find the device id for the touchscreen, then "xinput disable <id>". Now I can work without the touchscreen doing random things.

Then, I added a rule for ignoring the touchscreen at boot : create a file in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/" named for example "99-no-touchscreen.conf". And then add this into the file :

"

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier     "Touchscreen catchall"
    MatchIsTouchscreen "on"

Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

"

I also blacklisted the corresponding module kernel (lsmod ; /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-hid-multitouch.conf < blacklist hid_multitouch"). To be sure.

It work without any problems now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.